First Car Question?

I am 16 years old and found a 2008 Ford Escape for my very first car. The problem is that my parents don’t like it because there are 42,000 miles in a 2 year timeframe. They would prefer I find a Honda CRV or a Toyota RAV4. MY Question is: Is 42,000 miles really that bad? and What car do you think I should get?

These were likely highway miles ; very easy on a car. If the maintenance was done on time, I see no problem with this vehicle, provided you read the owner’s manual and keep up the maintenance.

By all means have a professional mechanic check it out.

If you are buying it, get what you want. If your parents are paying for it, drive what they get for you (and say “thank you”).

Twotone

PS: a two-year-old Escape with 42k miles is probably OK (but pay for a pre-purchase inspection). Personally, I’d prefer a CRV or RAV4.

IMO 42,000 miles is less than ? of the expected life. I don’t see why to worry about high mileage the first two years. How would that be any worse than if it had 42,000 miles over three or four years?

Now the dad in me has a couple of comments:

Listen to your parents. Right or wrong, listen to them. Then when you get the facts and opinions (remember they are not the same), talk to them and listen to them. In the end, unless you have the money saved up for the car and insurance and repairs, I would go with your parents if once you have stated your opinion, they don’t agree.

It may not seem like it now, but that car, while important, is not the most important thing in life. It will be a car and an experience that you and your parents will remember for a long time. Consider this as an opportunity for you to show respect to your parents (even when they are wrong)

I have been on both sides of this situation and in both cases son asked dad and it turned out well.

Well, if the car was built in 07, then that makes for about 14k miles per year, 21k if it was built after 2008 started. If this is a one owner car or lease return, then it’s probably safe to assume it was built in 07. Also, the Escape will likely be cheaper to purchase and repair than the CRV or Rav4 when the time comes. Check insurance rates as well, THAT will be the biggest hurdle you’ll have to jump when it comes to buying a vehicle

You are right…but

42K on an Escape is a lot more than 42k on a RAV. I think that RAV and CRV used are much better choices for a lot of reasons. One of them is NOT financial as the do cost more. Assuming they are buying the car, make your wishes known once, then drop it. It’s their money we assume and all you can do is take what you can get. And, you could do a lot worse than the Escape. So I agree with Jos…