Finding replacement vehicle

Yes, I thought of that but I don’t know of anything else that both corresponds to the OP’s wants and has reasonable reliability. He may have to suck it up and trade it in after only seven or eight years instead of fifteen. Who knows, maybe wagons will be back in fashion by then. :wink:

Hi remodeler:
I didn’t realize the leak was small enough that there’s nothing dripping on the driveway.

Given the age of the vehicle and the concern about spending money, if this were my car, I would not get the oil leak fixed (valve cover gaskets and oil control valve seal). Instead I would simply check the oil often and top it off as needed.

because when I take it it they never say it’s an issue.

and thank you for that.

Besides keeping gas in the tank, checking your oil is just about at the top of the list for maintenance. Have you ever done it?

1 Like

Bing and Volvo: Isn’t this site to also help novices? Or is it just for “pros” or those who actually know stuff about cars? So what that there’s 40 posts about what you consider trivial? Some people are actually nice enough to help and not criticize.

yes, I’ve checked the oil before. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have a car that lasted 16 years. I take good care of my cars. Last one lasted 15 years. Never had one last less than 10.

Bing: Unfortunately for those of us who aren’t knowledgeable about all things car, how would I know that a valve cover gasket is commonly available at a NAPA store? When I go in there I’m not looking for gaskets. You act like I should know these things. Sorry to disappoint you.

Why would maintenance costs be a concern with a Volvo or VW? I always thought Volvo was a really good car and sometimes VWs are too. Should I not be looking at those?

Closest Japanese repair shop is in Canada. So, ain’t gonna find one here.

I guess I was just hinting at keeping a 16 year old car going requires some car knowledge. Certainly that doesn’t fit everyone but they may be happier with a newer model without the complications. Like a farmer that knows little about tractors.

Mazdas have been around long enough that where it was assembled shouldn’t make any difference. IIRC, you said above that this engine was used in Fords too. That’s another reason this car can be worked on by any competent mechanic. Actually, any competent mechanic can work on any car as long as they can find parts, and it appears that the parts you need ar available.

That’s great. But you don’t know how much oil you’re using?

Not yet. But I will check now that I have a leak.

Looks like I’m the exception to your theory then. I know almost nothing about cars and yet I can keep them for 16 years. Something I have in common with the farmer apparently.

Your dealer probably stocks the valve cover gaskets but that is not the problem. The valve control solenoids are leaking and it sounds like simply replacing them isn’t the solution because of a problem with the bore in the valve cover causing the leak.

Many vehicles leak oil, in some cases it causes more problems, in others there is no consequence other than a soiled parking space.

dealer says they don’t have any of the gaskets, which is why I had to find them with JoeMario’s help. As for solenoids leaking, that wasn’t mentioned. Just the gaskets.

If the dealer doesn’t stock the valve cover gaskets they can get them in their next daily parts order, they are not obsolete.

You mentioned it, oil control valves, variable valve timing control solenoids are the same thing.

I don’t think the dealer really wants to deal with this vehicle or the owner. Remodeler says they have a foot problem that keeps them from a pickup or cargo van which would be much better suited for remodeling and landscape work then a station wagon. Why does this foot not keep them from loading and loading 4x8 sheets of plywood or handling many bags of mulch ? Also why is this person not calling local independent shops to see if they can solve this problem ? Not to mention how silly it is to be hung up on round vents ( They aren’t much good when you are out in 90 degree weather planting flowers ) .

I am gone because I don’t really think this person can be helped.

6 Likes

Volvo

You assume you know a lot about me. You know what assuming does, right? Except in this case it’s not me. I don’t care what you think I should do. If you find it so irritating that I don’t follow your advice you certainly can not offer any. I certainly won’t miss you p&m’g about me liking round vents, which I mention ONCE and you continue to harp on.

I’m asking for advice about my car and a lot of people are nice enough to offer help. That’s what this community is supposed to be for and about and some actually adhere to that.

1 Like