Feeling dumb

I had driven on worn shocks for a year. Because my truck didn’t behave like other vehicles I had in the past, I didn’t suspect shocks were the source of the squeaking. My question is: What kind of problems might that cause in other parts of the vehicle? It is an '08 Ranger with 216k on it.

Just about zero other problems, I’d think. Are you sure it’s the shocks, and not some other suspension component, that’s squeaking?

1 Like

Excessive wheel travel? Uneven worn tires? Slightly more worn ball joints? Control arm bushings? But your truck has lots of miles.

1 Like

With squeaking involved, the first thing I would look at would be the sway bar bushings. Some aerosol lubricant may shut them up.

1 Like

Suspension/steering system bushings is what I’m thinking as well. I was working on my older Ford truck’s cooling system the other day and noticed while underneath it could use a set of new front control arm bushings.

With 216K miles, if you’re on the original ball joints, there’s no way they’re still okay

As for the shocks, really bad shocks can eventually take their toll on the tires, in my opinion

1 Like