Favorite sports car

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru STI, Mitsubishi Galant VR4, Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, Integra Type R, Dodge Neon SRT-4, Chevy Cobalt SS…none of them are sports cars.

Despite being faster and handling better than many cars which are sports cars, without trading any of that for comfort.

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon with manual TX and the big engine. I kid you not. Never had more fun in any legit sports car. 300,000 miles and still flying. Performance is everything.

Floor it and don’t let up. Try that on public roads with a Porsche.

I have.
Great fun.

It’s even more fun on an actual race track, which is where I spend most of my time playing with my '98 Boxster.

Here’s video proof:

Camera is mounted on the front bumper.
Turn down the sound, as all you will hear for most of the video is wind noise.

BC.

I cherish every moment that I’m driving a Miata. I don’t know how they build a car with such direct, mechanical feel, something sorely lacking in other cars.

I heard that the next one will actually loose weight while running on the same power. By then, I want to see what Toyobaru will come up with. Time to save up for a 2nd car.

No eyes rolling here. A 914 definitely qualifies as fun.

My Jeep Rubicon. As Enzo Ferrari said, “the Jeep is America’s only sports car.”

In 1973 I purchased a new Plymouth ‘Cuda’ 340. AS most of you will remember 1972 was the last year of the real muscle car until a few years later. Even so my Cuda, with only a three speed, would accelerate from highway speed( 70mph in those days) to 115 in the blink of an eye. I understand they’re selling for a small fortune at Barrett Jackson these days…really should have kept it.

Those are “sport compacts” a proper sports car is RWD (or in some cases AWD). A car needs not be fast to be a sports car.

The classic definition of a sports car is that it.

1. Be light
  2. Have two or fewer doors
  3. Have two of fewer seats
  4. Be rear wheel drive
  5. Exhibit excellent handling
  6. Be relatviely small in size

The Mazda Miata is a sports car. The Integra Type R is not even though it’s faster.

I liked my 86 Mr2. Reliable, great gas mileage, handled excellent thanks to it’s mid-engine placement and looked good. The shifter was the best of any car I’ve driven to date.