Fair price for changing plugs in 2007 Dodge Dakota V8 4.7?

What’s a fair price for changing plugs in 2007 Dodge Dakota V8 4.7 ? I’ve been quoted $200 which seems a lot even if the plugs are hard to get to. Replacement plugs are standard Champion resistor copper-core plugs.

Thanks in advance.

The price sounds about right. I’m not famliar with Chrysler flat rate but my rough guess is that plug replacement is about 1.5-2 hours.
Multiply that X the hourly flat rate charge which will vary a lot based on locale, etc and odds are the price is at what it should be.

Generally speaking, the east and west coasts will have higher hourly labor rates as will large metro areas such as Chicago, Detroit, etc.

The price may seem high but by the time that 200 dollars is pieced out the profit margin won’t be as large as one may think.

Repairpal.com gives a price range of $128-$171 plus tax, depending on local labor rates where you live, and differences between dealer rates/prices and those of independent shops.

Breakdown:
Parts: $32-$48
Labor: $96- $123

At my local NAPA, Champion copper core plugs for your engine are $1.99 each. Your mechanic may be quoting higher-end plugs (platinum, etc) and of course charging markup.

Standard Champion spark plugs are available at your local parts store for around $2 I presume. Meaning that the shop will sell them to you for about $4. Because we are here to make profit, not trade dollars.

Around here,
8 Spark Plugs: $32.00
Labor 1.5hrs X $90/hr: $135.00
Sales Tax: 15.87
Total: $182.87

So…Learn how to do it yourself and it’s $16…Or have it done professionally, $200

I told the mechanic I wanted copper-core plugs but he actually used platinum. I only discovered this when I got the old plugs back in the new plugs’ boxes. As for changing my own plugs, it only has to be done every 5 years or 30,000 miles, I would rather pay to have it done. I’m gettin’ old.

The only reason to change them every 30,000 is because of wear. If you now have platinum plugs I would extend the interval to at least 60,000.

The only time I replace plugs is, the Check Engine light comes on with the a misfire code, and the misfire was caused from a defective plug.

Tester

$200? Maybe a tad high, but w/platinum plugs, it’s splitting hairs. If the mechanic did a good job, count yourself blessed. And enjoy a ice cold beer.

You bought an expensive vehicle, that is expensive to fuel, and expensive to maintain. 200 is fair.
If you had a 3cyl geo metro it have cost you 60 bucks. If 200 dollars seems high for maintenance, wait till you have a transfer case seal stat leaking or one of the cats go bad.

@Tester

You don’t change plugs by mileage and/or time, as per the owner’s manual?

No offense intended

OBDII will let you know if the plugs require replacement.

Some plugs aren’t easy to get to.

Tester

“OBDII will let you know if the plugs require replacement.”

OK, now I’m curious…what exactly is the fault code or Mode6 data that shows a spark plug electrode worn? Or oil fouled? Since it’s not a requirement of OBDII to tell you which cylinder is misfiring, how do you determine which spark plug is at fault? Or if it is a spark plug, a coil, a wire.

What do you do when a Chrysler product comes into your shop for a 30K service, and both the owner’s manual and Chrysler service schedule shows that spark plug replacement is required? Since plug replacement would be included in the published labor time I hope you do it since the customer is paying for it.

“Some plugs aren’t easy to get to.” And some alternators aren’t easy to get to. But that’s irrelevant. If it needs it, it needs it.

With all due respect I have to disagree with the premise that spark plugs are fine until they set a misfire code.

OBDII or not, it’s quite possible to have problems in any area without the CEL being illuminated and/or codes being set and stored.

P0301=Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

P0302=Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

P0303=Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

P0304=Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

P0305=Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

P0306=Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

P0307=Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected

P0308=Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected

Tester

There are many items on your vehicle that should be replaced during a specific time interval.

Spark plugs is one of them. Waiting for there to be a problem like a misfire is not good practice. This can prematurely damage other components like your coils(s). It’s like waiting to change the brakes when you hear them grinding the on the rotor.

@Tester, you’re not seriously suggesting that a P0303 fault code indicates that #3 spark plug should be changed, are you?

I agree 100% with Mike’s example above. Do you wait to replace your brakes until they grind? Do you wait to replace your timing belt until it breaks?

I’ve seen a few misfire codes caused by injectors . . . plugged, open circuit, etc.

I’ve also seen misfires caused by low compression, coolant fouled plugs, oil fouled plugs, etc.

Just something to consider

No. I’m not saying that a code P0303 means replace the plug. But the plug should be pulled to see if it’s causing the misfire.

I don’t know about anyone else, but when I get a misfire code for a cylinder the first thing I do is pull the plug. If I see a problem with the plug all the plugs get replaced. If I don’t see a problem with the plug then there’s nothing wrong with the other plugs otherwise there would be a misfire code.

No.I don’t wait for the brakes to grind. That’s a safety issue.

No. I don’t wait until a timing belt breaks. That can do engine damage.

As I tell my customers who ask me when they should change the plugs. I tell them, as long as the Check Engine light isn’t on with a misfire code, the plugs are working. So why pay me to replace parts that are working?

Tester

@Tester

What if somebody comes in specifically requesting plugs, because they’re due as per the factory maintenance schedule?

Do you tell them “Okay, but I think you’re wasting your money” . . . ?

What if somebody comes in asking you to perform all the factory recommended maintenance for a 100K service, which might include plugs?

Do you replace the all the filters, fluid, wipers and oil, but not the plugs?

“If I don’t see a problem with the plug then there’s nothing wrong . . .”

But what if the plugs already had 100K on them? Wouldn’t it be a good time to replace them?

I’m not hacking into you . . . I just am having a hard time understanding why a professional would seem to be against replacing plugs