Faint grinding noise when the steering wheel is rotated in very slow speed

hyundai

2000 Hyundai Elantra makes a humming or faint grinding noise when the steering wheel is rotated in very slow speed or when stopped. It only happens when the engine is cold, goes away after a few minutes of driving. PS and other belts are 16 months old. Belts had a chirping noise which went away a few months ago. Is it a belt issue or something else?

Check the level of the power steering fluid in the reservoir.How old is it? Could need a flush if extremely dirty. The p/s pump has to work a lot harder when the car is stationary due to the fact that most of the vehicule weight is in the front.If the noise goes away after a few minutes of driving, it should be fine.

PS fluid looked OK, the level is also OK. 2000 Hyundai Elantra with original PS fluid. I never heard of PS fluid flush. Can I siphon out some PS fluid and refill with fresh?

Can I siphon out some PS fluid and refill with fresh?

Yes,you can do that! Do this procedure 4 to 5 time in a 3 month period or until the p/s fluid look nice and clean. Check your owner’s manual for the right p/s fluid to use in your vehicule.

Before I change the PS fluid, here is some info:

The vehicle does not have to be moving to hear the noise. The noise is there even when the car is fully stopped. When the car is stopped or moving at very slow speed, if I rotate the steering wheel either way and hold it, the grinding noise continues until I rotate the steering wheel back to straight position.

The sound seems to be coming from the front side. The sound is similar to brake dragging but I don’t think the brake is dragging because the car runs fine.