Failed emission test

Yes. TBI still pulses the spray and varies the fuel pressure to control the fuel usage.

concerning a leaky tbi injector or ers. would I be able to see the leak in the throttle body? & Thanks very much to all you guys.

I agree with Busted Knuckles.

This doggoned forum progarm puts things out of order! Blah!

I hate the way this forum creates pages rather than a continuous read the way the old one did…

Anyway, you would not be able to see it. The leak will be in the parts where the injector’s internal part closes the orafice through which the fuel flows. If it isn’t closing completely, fuel will be leaking into the intake airstream in a fine mist (remember, it’s under pressure) when the injector should be closed. Since the fuel metering is based on the open-time vs. the closed-time (the open-time is called the “pulse width”), this leaking fuel will be added to the fuel that the computer is adding and the mix will be too rich.

In summary, The leak will not be to the outside world where it can be seen. It’ll be to the airstream going into the engine.

Injectors can be tested on a test stand, can be visually inspected, or simply replaced. However, the fuel pressure regulator can be tested with the proper setup, a pressure gage and “T” fitting kit which can be purchased at the parts store. I’d check this first, but since you’re talking a single injector here you may just want to try inspecting and maybe replacing the injector.

This sounds like a simple one to diagnose. I don’t think the problem is CAT or O2 related. The problem here sounds more like a gross misfire. HC amounts above 3000ppm usually indicate one or more cylinder/s are not igniting fuel at all, indicating either a no spark condition, no compression, or severely defective ignition timing. I highly recommend beginning your vehicle’s diagnosis by inspecting the ignition system.