F-150: To buy or not to buy

Just out of curiosity I have 90 F150 with a 96 five speed manual do you know what the towing capacity is with that set up?

The 87-2003 models all used the same manual transmission, the M5OD, and it’s always the limiting factor. Towing capacities for M5OD-equipped F-150’s are anywhere from 1700 pounds to a max of 3500 pounds. Automatics are typically rated for double what the manuals are, variables like axle ratio, cab/bed length, engine choice and 2WD/4WD all factor into it obviously. A 1990 F-150 with the 4.9L I6, 4WD, supercab, and a 2.73 or 3.08 axle ratio would be on the low side, while a 2WD, reg cab with the 302, and 3.55 axle ratio would be on the high side.

1 Like

Thank you for that information. I have the reg cab 2WD with the 302 do not know what the axle ratio is.

When you say the same you do mean the gearing but not the housing right the reason I am asking the 90 had a cable for the speedometer the 96 did not have a hole the for the cable but everything else matched.

I mean the transmission is the same model; It’s Mazda-built unit. The M5OD, specifically the M5OD-R2. The F-150 went to an electronically-controlled gauge cluster in 1992 IIRC. The gauges are analog, but they are controlled via circuit board and speed sensors, there isn’t a mechanical speedometer cable. Your 1990 would require a mechanical cable, but the 1996 transmission wouldn’t have provisions for one as the 1996 model used sensors to send information to the gauge cluster.

1 Like

Thank you that’s what I thought you meant.

My dad’s has the 5.4 and I’m fairly certain it has the plastic intake manifold as he’s already had it replaced. I think it’s a 2001 model.

I skipped over the link to the dealership. After seeing the website, I’m fairly certain the truck has probably been wrecked, like you said. Especially since it has relatively low miles for the year and is priced at about half what it should be. For some reason I thought this was a private seller.

I’m going against the grain here . . .

Those 2003 Suburbans are both pretty stout AND not that complicated to figure out

No offense against your very experienced grandfather, but maybe it’s time to pay a reputable and well-established independent shop to figure it out

As for the cluster, it probably needs to be replaced . . . this is both very common and not expensive to do. What you do is send in your old cluster to a company . . . there are several of them that advertise on the internet . . . which will rebuild it and transfer the mileage. Plug and play. No programming required whatsoever on your end

As for the stalling/dying . . . it could very well be a fuel pressure/delivery problem.

Somebody very experienced with a pro-level scanner, fuel pressure gauge and a very good head on their shoulders should be able to figure this out at a reasonable cost

Again . . . no offense intended against your grandfather :smiley:

I’m assuming the Suburban has the 6.0 liter V-8 backed up with the 4L-80E? That’s a pretty sturdy combination and should have no problem pulling your landscaping trailer

I guess my point is this . . . if you can pay a modest sum to properly diagnose the Suburban, which you’re familiar with, it might be better than buying an unknown truck, which might be hiding a multitude of problems

And a 2003 F-150 isn’t really an upgrade, imo

And unless you’re frequently going off-road to reach your various work sites, you probably don’t need 4x4

2 Likes