F 150 brakes

gonna do the front brakes on my truck tomorrow. 2 wheel drive. parts store recommends replacing the spindle nut rather than reusing. at 40 bucks apiece i was wondering what other opinions you guys might have.

If it’s two wheel drive there should be no special spindle nut.

You should just have to remove the old cotter pin. remove the tin capture cap, and then remove the spindle nut. Upon reassembly the only thing that should need to be replaced is the cotter pin.

Tester

The front spindle nut on some late model Ford RWDs is a single use throw away and replace part, sad to say. It’s outrageous but it likely saves Ford 2 minutes labor per wheel at the factory. Unless you want to experiment with your safety at stake it would be advisable to replace the nuts.

Depends on the year. If Do Not Reuse is stamped on it, then it’s a torque-to-yield design, with a nylon locking ring intended for just one use, so it’s risky. If it’s an old beater you might just count on the castle nut cotter pin to save you. I’d go new if it’s a nice truck.

yeah it says its a one and done piece. just wanted some opinions. 80 bucks is alot for 2 nuts. then again I managed 102k from the original brakes so I guess I can live with it.

just be safe and replace the one time use nuts. you may not worry about the safety but the others on the road will be thrilled that you don’t lose a wheel and ram into loved ones. spend the money.

Spindle nut (or other parts of the country called a castle nut)…should NOT be a one time use nut. They don’t get tightened down. Just enough to keep the wheel in place. The cotter-pin keeps it from spinning out. I’ve NEVER seen one break or wear out. They should last the life of the vehicle and then some.

I agree with @MikeInNh in general. Maybe your truck is different then the spindle (castle)nuts i’ve worked but I’ve never had any reason not to reuse them , unless damaged. Like Mike says, just adjust them for the appropriated bearing clearance and always use a new pin. If as @rod says they are definitely one timers for sure, replace them. I have seen suspension parts made for Ford at a local subcontractor that were purposely made with a limited life span. So, trust Ford to engineer one that fails if that’s what it says. Either way, a good inspection is worthwhile.

@MikeInNH unfotunately I have to disagree with you on this one. OP doesn’t have a castle nut. OP’s car does not use the system you’re thinking of. Tighten the nut and forget about it, until it’s time for rotors, at which point you replace the nut.

Here’s what the part looks like.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1037556&cc=1431304

Notice what it says, please.

jobs done, new nuts and all. at least it was 40 bucks for two not one like i originally thought. kinda sad to replace ford bearings with who knows what just because the rotors are worn out. and before anyone comments on the fact i think ford is better quality, i bought the truck new and it has never been back to the shop, 1 set of tires at 55k, a battery at 80k, 2 sets of wipers, and i just did its 34th oil change. thats all ive done except use it like a truck.

I’d go with what Rod Knox recommends since he works the parts counter at a Ford dealer. It’s striaght from the horses mouth.

That must be some other Rod. @jtsanders. I’ve owned many Fords and worked on a great many but never worked for Ford. This spindle nut is another disappointment for me coming from Ford. The new nut must enable the nut to be installed and tightened to slightly pre-load the hub assembly with a robotic system. If faced with that situation on my personal vehicle I might be tempted to reinstall the old nut and add a jam nut. A jam nut would be more secure than the plastic interference ring.

no room for jam nut…i was thinking more along the lines of lock tite. but i bit the bullet and bought new nuts, im sure its the right thing to do

Is it a torque to yield fastener? Does it say “do not re-use” on the old one? If it is a non-reusable nut, best to replace w/new. Unlike regular nuts, torque to yield fasteners don’t return to their prior dimension once they’ve been used. For more info, read this article.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/305

@kennedy glad to hear you did “the right thing”