Extra Charge for changing tires with the TPMS

Is it fair to be charged up to $4.50 per tire when you buy new tires, just because you have a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) ??? Dont answer by saying, buy your tires elsewhere, cause it seems most all places are starting to charge for it now. I asked one chain why they charged extra and they said in case the technician damaged the TPMS monitor they would not lose any money, I then asked him how many have been damaged in the last year and he said …none that he knew of…so there you go. Another great requirement (the TPMS) by the government costing us all more money for silly ideas, they do believe we cant keep our tire pressure where it belongs without thier help. Oh well…

If you have battery powered senders in your tires, it’s a good time to change the batteries. Otherwise, I don’t know of any reason to charge more. Possibly it’s like disk front brakes. Brake people charged more for new pads in spite of disks being easier to work on than drums. They used the new technology as an excuse to charge more.