Exterior lights turning off while driving

I drive a 2007 Buick LaCrosse. While driving, my exterior lights shut off for approx. 10-30 seconds and come back on. It’s become a very unsafe situation and my regular mechanic is baffled and cannot find the cause. Has anyone else had an issue like this? I am now looking for a second opinion from a second mechanic.

uuugh, i feel your fear! I just posted the same problem with my 2001 mercury sable. It doesn’t happen every time and I don’t normally drive after dark, but it’s very scary when it happens. Hope someone can give us some answers. Good luck. =)

When this happens, do ALL your exterior lamps, like front/rear side turn signals, brake lights and marker lights quit or do some still operate? And do you know what your mechanic checked out earlier? Did anyone check your serpentine belt, alternator and voltage regulator?

Yes, Jet Fixer, ALL exterior lights go out. I had someone follow me to verify that it wasn’t just my headlights. I have no clue as to what the mechanic checked. I just know they told me they couldn’t duplicate the problem, therefore, they couldn’t figure out how to fix it. The car runs great and nothing happens on the inside of the car such as dimmed lights, radio going out, or anything that indicates a battery issue or alternator. The lights just pop off for about 10-30 seconds then come right back on. One of the first times it happened, I was going 70mph down the highway at 4:30 in the morning. It is incredibly unsafe to drive it at night and like jenibug, I don’t drive in the dark that often but I need to be safe on the road, as do others.