Extended warranty on used 2020 Honda CRV

It appears it needs to be a Honda dealer OR Certified Honda repair.

Are many shops ‘Certified’? Might be good to know which ones.

1 Like

Good point. I live in Seattle currently so that isn’t an issue at this time.

From what I can tell from the Honda site it’s body repair shops that get ‘certified’.

1 Like

You may be right, but I bet the Lexus owner that needs a $12,000 repair sure does wish they had bought that $1,400 warranty about right now… Even if he can do it for a 1/4 of the cost, that is still more then double what the warranty would have cost…

BTW, if I read it right, that is under a 20 hour repair, so that should have been around $8,000 in parts or more…

Now you may have $12,000 just laying around, but most don’t… just saying…

This is called the lottery syndrome. Sure there are SOME people that win the lottery…but the vast majority just throw their money away. People get suckered into believing they’re going to be that one. Same with extended warranties. The VAST MAJORITY of people who buy them are wasting their money. Very unlikely the extended warranty will ever be needed during the extended warranty period. If you can’t afford an extremely unlikely repair on your lexus during that period…then maybe buying a different/cheaper vehicle would have been a better choice.

1 Like

Labor guide shows 28.1 hours to replace the cylinder head for front wheel drive, more for AWD. Warranty labor shown on the service bulletin is 22 hours, this is a known problem with the Lexus turbo 4 cylinder engine.

I was looking at Mitchell and have seen it wrong before… Also only showed gasket R&R, not head replacement… Thanks for the update… Still bet they wished they had bought the warranty… lol

|CYLINDER HEAD GASKET - R&R

Application Labor Wty Skill

Operation
All FWD = 18.8 hours

Includes: Remove carbon and check surfaces for warpage. Includes adjust Valves (where applicable) and clean and adjust Spark Plugs. Includes: R&I Engine Assembly. Includes: Recover, Evacuate and Recharge Air Conditioning System. DOES NOT include wheel alignment. 18.8 16.0 B

All AWD = 19.6 hours

Includes: Remove carbon and check surfaces for warpage. Includes adjust Valves (where applicable) and clean and adjust Spark Plugs. Includes: R&I Engine Assembly. Includes: Recover, Evacuate and Recharge Air Conditioning System. DOES NOT include wheel alignment. 19.6 16.4 B

Combinations
VALVE SPRING OR SEAL - R&R 0.3 0.0 B

Note: Labor items can be added to an estimate on the Estimate detail page.|

Read the fine print. Got sold an extended warranty $1400 for a 2017 GMC bought in 2020, 5 years 70 k miles was the selling point. Ends up a window switch failed, $269 for the switch, another $200 for labor, Not covered. Sorry warranty is based on the date of manufacture and it expired last month!!@#$%^&U

1 Like

$1400 seems a reasonable price for the warranty. As mentioned above, not uncommon for even a single repair to generate a $1400 shop invoice these days. I expect OP already knows the warranty company devises the warranty language so over all of their warranties they will be paying out less in benefits than they receive from the customers. But insurance companies do the same thing, and folks buy various types of insurance all the time.

If OP does quite a bit of car diy’er repair themselves, warranty probably not worth $1400. But if OP is more like a typical car owner and most of the car repairs are done by their shop, probably best to keep the warranty.

2020 Honda with not too many miles, that seems a good choice, the sweet spot in the car-purchasing spectrum.

Appears to be the extended warranty offered as Honda True Certified, $1400 isn’t a bad price for that coverage. Dad’s 2019 has only needed to be serviced in 4+yrs of ownership. So far it’s been just as reliable as his 2007 was at the same age. Local dealer has serviced his Honda’s since he bought the 2007 in November 2006.

1 Like

If that means the warranty is also a maintenance policy, it might be worth it. If navigation system incudes updates, may very well be worth it, on factory navigation systems map updates, from what I have read, can be expensive.
Time for an oil change, take it in, sit in their lounge, drink their free coffee.
Unfortunately, warranties are written by lawyers.

Am I the only person who thinks it’s a disgrace that a 5-year old vehicle, by a luxury marque nonetheless, needs such a major repair? Any vehicle which cannot crest 100,000 miles without requiring major repairs is defective in its design and/or manufacturing. For many years, people purchased cheap economy cars, and drove them for a lot longer than 5 years without expensive repairs.

1 Like

This is an interesting result of improved reliability over the years. Now people have come to expect perfection from a commercial commodity that is a fairly complex machine made from thousands of moving parts. How much do you expect to pay for perfection? Look at the shuttle program. How many billions did they spend on how many shuttles and still there were failures. Imagine that. Now build a hundred thousand of something, keep costs down, pricing reasonably affordable and expect zero failures in 5 years of use across the entire fielded population? And not everyone treats these machines with the same level of care btw…

A disgrace there was a failure? Hardly. Sucks to be that person but statistically, there are going to be failures…

1 Like

Welcome to the future. People want better fuel economy, the Government keeps raising the standards, so we have a 5000 lb. SUV with a 4-cylinder engine.

Add all the Rube Goldburg mechanisms to reach 30 mpg from a SUV: direct fuel injection, turbo charger, intelligent variable valve timing, variable output oil pump, 8 speed transmission, what could go wrong?

105,000 miles on that engine, I have seen valve problems on these vehicles with 75,000 to 100,000 miles.

1 Like

No opinion whether it is a disgrace or not, but doesn’t seem like a wild guess that a car w/that much engine power & technology would be in the shop for some expensive repairs from time to time. IMO the proper way to regulate this sort of thing is for the potential customer to do their research before buying. If the typical customer has no practical way to do & understand that pre-purchase research, then there’s a reasonable argument that situation should be improved.

… and to do proper maintenance.
I think that there is at least a fair chance that these early turbo failures were the result of “extended” oil changes, possibly combined with overly zealous use of the turbo boost.

The engine with the worn valve guides was first used in the 2015 models, hard to predict the reliability of a new product.

1 Like

Funny, anytime someone comes on here and ask about adding a little power to there current N/A (engine) vehicle most everyone is against it, but then when a vehicle with a factory turbo/supercharger has issues they wonder why… just a thought…

Turbo-charging an engine not originally designed for that seems more likely to result in problems than a manufacturer’s new turbo engine design. I presume you mean folks here point out potential problems when turbo-ing a NA design. IMO if someone owns a car they can do whatever they like to the engine, as long as it is safe & meets state & federal regulations.