Exhausting white smoke

Hi friends im from Pakistan i have kia sportage model 2003 engine changed with toyota 3s, few days back my jeep exhaust white smoke with fuel smell i changed MAP sensor but still my jeep exhausting white smoke now with oil buring smell…
Note: no over heating, jeep running smoothly…

Sorry guys, I’m not even trying this one. A Kia with a Toyota engine, and a Jeep running smoothly but blowing smoke.

fuel pressure regulator?

1 Like

From what I’ve seen of Pakistani car lingo, just about anything that goes off road is a jeep. Kind of like any soda in Atlanta is “coke.”

@Abdul_Rehman_Mandviwalla how much white smoke are we talking about here? Huge clouds, or just a little?

I too have difficulty understanding what the OP has.
But in general white smoke in a hot climate means there’s coolant getting into the combustion chambers, being vaporized, and being blown out with the exhaust. Changing random sensors won’t fix that.

I feel compelled to ask the OP his skill level. If he lacks mechanical skills, his best bet is to take it to a mechanic for a diagnosis. He’s not going to be able to correct this problem on his own.

OP?

1 Like

Possible head gasket breech, and if so, a job for a pro or a skilled and patient and resourceful DIYer.

To test this hypothesis, a couple things the driver can do. After a drive, look at the radiator’s overflow tank. The fluid should be sitting still between the minimum and maximum lines. If it is too high, or too low, or hissing and bubbling, it’s trouble. After a thorough cool-down, it’s safe to remove the radiator cap. Do so. If the fluid is low add some - or just water - to bring it up almost to the neck, then start the car and let it warm up. Watch for bubbles coming up and bursting at the neck. That’s trouble.

A mechanic may have a hydrocarbon sniffer that can sample the air in those bubbles, or may use chemical test strips. If there are exhaust gasses in the coolant… trouble. Most likely a head gasket gone bad. That may be all, but the engine may have suffered other damage from overheating.

In any case, good luck. Please keep us informed.

1 Like

Jeep has become somewhat generic. Any off road utility vehicle with a soft top can be considered a jeep to those who don’t think doing so is blasphemous.

And I just ran across a link between the Mazda 3 engine and the Sportage. But who knows. Just throw your darts and hope you win a prize.

Maybe Abdul will check his coolant level and find it is low. If so I’ll throw out my SWAG.

:sob: Sorry to hear that, I would check the coolant level and if it’s low you might be burning coolant with that white smoke. Refill the coolant and look for any external leaks like hoses, radiator or water pumps leaking. If you don’t see an external leak and are still losing coolant then its probably burning it - not good.

1 Like

High clouds on high rpm

Good comments above. I’d focus on determining whether coolant is being lost or not. White smoke can be caused by other reasons than a head gasket or intake manifold gasket breech leading to coolant getting into the cylinders. But if it is coolant, the coolant level will definitely go lower and lower the more miles driven and that should be easy enough to determine.

If OP feels lucky, test the brake vacuum booster. Something those will fail in a way that allows brake fluid to get sucked into the engine which can result it white exhaust smoke. The brake fluid will be going lower too of course. Check the PCV system too.

1 Like

While coolant consumption is usually related to white smoke out the exhaust, motor oil can also appear white at times.

It might be a good idea to check the motor oil level if you have not done so. If there are clouds of smoke related to motor oil it can be assumed that oil consumption will be somewhat high.

2 Likes

Tranny fluid if burned will also create a white cloud. A BIG white cloud.
The diaphragm in my vacuum modulator ruptured in my '64 Fairlane many years ago. I learned the hard way. :grin:

I wouldn’t guess a 2003 model would have a tranny configuration where transmission fluid could get sucked into the engine. Or am I wrong and that’s still a possibility with modern cars these days?

A 2003 KIA with an unknown year Toyota engine, it’s anyone’s guess what transmission is in this.

1 Like