Excessive wear on insides ofnfront tire tread

Front tires always wear a lot faster on a front wheel drive vehicule like your Kia. Cheap tires,overinflation and lack of tire rotation will cause this.

Actually, the wear pattern looks more like chronic under-inflation, along with God-only-knows what kind of abuse, plus an obvious lack of rotation and proper alignment.

Anywayā€¦ Everyone should try to remember that there are other people driving around with tires as badly worn as the OPā€™s tiresā€“which should have been replaced a few thousand miles ago. Keep this in mind on the next rainy day when you are expecting someone to stop for you.
:thinking:

Iā€™m sure wondering if the Dustin Jackson linked to by Joe Mario is one and the same as our poster here.

That could explain a lot if weā€™re dealing with a race car.

I would also wonder why a racer with an older and allegedly experienced pit crew canā€™t answer his questionā€¦assuming itā€™s the same guy.

I emailed and asked if he were one and the same. Weā€™ll see if thereā€™s a response or whether the OP has chosen to exit stage left.

(Shudder)ā€¦ thatā€™s it, Iā€™m hanginā€™ up my keys! I donā€™t want to be on the roads with these guys!
Seriously, thatā€™s great advice. The tire sin the photo are way beyond unsafe. Theyā€™re an accident looking for a place to happen.

I wish the OP would post back and tell us whatā€™s really going on. Thereā€™s more to the story of these tires than heā€™s tellinā€™.

Looks like excessive front toe-out to me. That means the front tires are pointed outward more at the front than the back than they should be, sort of like a duck walk. It might not be possible to tell just by looking. If you want to do an experiment yourself, make a tiny mark, the size of a pencil tip or less, near the center part of the tread at the front of the wheel, in both front tires. Use a plumb bob to transfer that to a mark on the driveway surface. Then move the car forward so the marks on the tires are now 180 degrees rotated; i.e. on the back of the wheel. Again use the plumb bob to transfer the mark to the driveway surface. Now move the car out of the way and find your measuring tape. Compare the distance between the fore and aft marks to get an estimate of the toe measurement.

Toe in or toe out , it doesnā€™t matter when someone runs tires long enough to get to that point of wear.

2 Likes