Even though Opels are not marketed in The US

… I think we can expect the upcoming Opel EVs to be sold here with Dodge or Jeep badges.

My vue has an opel made motor. Saturn was into sourcing global parts around 2000. Of course there was a nice U.S. made v6 they could have used. Then they had the nerve to stick a Honda v6 in it next. No wonder the brand died

Opel was owned by GM until 2017. My 1973 Vega had an Opel manual tranny.

Opel - Wikipedia

Last year, during my weekly drives to Princeton, I used to count the number of Teslas that I observed during that 28 mile round trip. Over the space of a few months, the numbers began to increase, and–now–Teslas are so numerous in this area that I wouldn’t even try to count them.

We’ll see if that mandates holds up. As I stated earlier the Real ID mandate has been extended over 20 years.

1 Like

Blah blah. I checked my calendar and says it’s 2023, not 2020. Read another report today cautioning a dive in new car sales due to high interest rates and price increases with many looking at payments exceeding $1000 per month. Not sustainable for the average Joe Schmo. Add to that banking jitters and market losses over the last couple of years and the forecast is cloudy with an atmospheric river possible. Most of these sales though are on the east and west coasts for some reason.

1 Like

Im visiting my daughter in the suburbs of Seattle and ive given up noting the Teslas as they are so numerous, but today i saw my first Lucid Air sedan. It has an all glass roof, and reminded me that we’ve been down that road before.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/fairlane/2627791.html

2 Likes

Seems to me the 54 ford had a sky liner model with the glass roof. Only six years old though so memory is foggy.

Yep 54, maybe even earlier.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1954-ford-skyliner

1 Like

lol …we’ve been hearing the term “atmospheric river” on a daily basis here in the San Francisco Bay area. It isn’t a new phenomenon, just a new name the weather reporters are using for winter storms that originate in the Philippines, cross the Pacific Ocean , creating a sort of narrow band stormy region, like a random pointing out of control fire hose. If you happen to in direct line with the fire hose spray, you’ll get really wet. But you may not get wet at all.

What’s new weather-wise here is the severity of the wind component, and that we are seeing severe storms in months that didn’t use to have severe storms, like October, & March.

It’s also known as a Pineapple Express. Maybe you know the atmospheric rivers by that name.

Oh man, now I’m gonna have pineapple princess sung by don ho (rest in peace) going around in my head all night. I’ll prolly have to dig the cd out. He was just outstanding. Correction. Guess it was na Leo that sang it.

The Cadillac Catera, Saturn Astra, and several recent Buick car models were really Opel’s with different branding.

I read a lot of good reviews of the Catera. I guess it sold poorly because it was the next small Caddy after the lousy Cimarron.

Yes, that plus the probability that traditional Caddy buyers weren’t yet oriented toward a smaller car–rather than the land barges that they traditionally bought.

I think that GM was aiming mostly at younger buyers who might have been interested in a BMW 3-series, or other sporty sedan. But, if any of that crowd was in the enthusiast category, they probably realized that “the Caddy that zigs” was essentially just Europe’s popular taxi of the time. In any event, the marketing of that model was just one more example of GM’s repeated failures in marketing a smaller car in the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

Gentlemen, please. Let’s not continue this discussion. Thanks. I deleted a bunch of stuff so nobody sees it and resurrects it.

The Cimarron was a joke. It was just a slightly more featured Chevrolet Cavalier.

I was actually referring to GM’s attempt to market the Catera.

1 Like

That is good judgment, Carolyn. I think it’s reprehensible when one member of a civilized forum refers to another forum member as “a liar”.