Escape Check engine light

Check engine light on 2013 Escape 2.0 eco boost 92,000 miles will come on for a day and then stay off for awhile only to come back on…My question is does the computer store a code when the light goes off. I made a appointment to have it looked at but the light went off so I canceled.The car runs fine with no issues.

YES IT DOES.

When the light comes on, one or more diagnostic trouble codes are stored in the car’s computer. These codes will stay there even if the light goes out. To address a check engine light issue, you or your mechanic can retrieve the codes by using an OBD-II scanner and then troubleshooting to find the problem.

If your light is on, it typically means the car’s emissions control system is faulty and the vehicle is polluting the air beyond allowable federal standards. A vehicle in this condition would fail an emissions inspection or smog check.

Don’t confuse the check engine light with the maintenance or service light . These lights illuminate when a routine service is due. They are usually triggered by mileage, gallons of gasoline consumed, or some other type of vehicle-use measurement.

1 Like

Your mechanic can read the codes and tell you what they think is wrong. Most chain parts stores have OBDII code readers. Call first to make sure they have one. They will read it and you can take pictures of the screen report on the code reader. Give us the codes and we can help you figure it out.

1 Like

The scanner must be able to read History codes.

If it doesn’t, then the codes can’t be retrieved.

Tester

2 Likes