Enviromentally responsible or stupid?

Actually, one guy recently pulled out some oil from the 80’s he had a case of, still in his basement, sent in a sample for analysis, it came back fine, he used it in an 80’s Gm for 3k miles, and sent a used oil sample in for analysis, which also came back fine.

If I remember correctly, it was just conventional Quaker State, or Valvoline, 10W-30.

I will have to hunt it down.

BC.

Here’s what I would consider doing with the oil from your Corvette.

First, before the Corvette’s oil change, I would take it out on a highway drive, 20 miles in one direction, 20 miles back, to get the oil up to temp, so that any moisture in it will evaporate off, and as much fuel will also be burned off.

Then I would drain it into either a brand new oil pan, or a really well cleaned pan, and pull an oil sample from it. That sample would get sent off to be analyzed, so that I can see what the TBN is, plus what the levels of things like silicon, iron, and aluminum are at. If the lab reports the oxidation level, that would also be useful.

If the report comes back looking good for the used oil, then I would put that into the S-10, and use it for about 3k miles. If there is high levels of iron, aluminum, or silicon, I wouldn’t use it at all.

But, you’ve already made your choice on what to do, so there’s no harm in that at all.

BC.

I think you found the right answer. It’s like paperwork, the more you have to handle or organize it, the less efficiency you achieve. Time is worth something too.

More ignorant, unrelated stuff to support my theory: Recycling didn’t save the dinosaurs.