Engine whine

Hi there fellow listeners. I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla, 60k miles. Ever since I bought it about 2 years ago, I’ve noticed that when I go above 40 mph, there is a distinct whine/whistle coming from the engine. If I take my foot off the gas the sound goes away immediately. It’s not particularly loud, but it’s enough to be annoying. I’ve had no mechanical issue with the car all this time and it seems to run just fine otherwise. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Perhaps if you pop the hood, stick your head under, and rev the engine by hand you’ll be able to determine where the whine is coming from. That’s where I’d start.

Whistle and whine are two different sounds. A small length of heater hose can help you locate the source. Once you find the source the repair suggestions get better. A whine may be a belt, or any component along the path, a whistle may be a bad vacuum hose or egr valve etc.

I guess it’s a whistle more than a whine. What did you mean that “A small length of heater hose can help you locate the source”. Thanks

A 2 foot length 1/2 or 5/8 heater hose with one end to your ear and the other end like a Doctor stethoscope can help you narrow down the source of the noise.

Oh I see. Good idea. I’ll give it a try. Cheers.