Engine Stop & Go - Technology

Engine Stop & Go - Technology?

Does the “Engine Stop & Go technology” actually reduces Fuel savings?"

(also Pros & Cons)

It actually does reduces the fuel consumption or increases the fuel savings. I will assume that is what you meant in that quote but got it turned around. So that is a pro

Greater wear and tear on the starter and battery, both cons. Annoying as all heck in some cars… BIG con in my book. Some are more transparent than others.

2 Likes

If it actually reduced fuel savings then the vehicle so equipped would use more fuel.

But yes stop/and start will give better miles per gallon in most circumstances.

I would not avoid a vehicle just because it has stop/start but I would make sure there was a dash button to turn it off when I did not want it active.

Yes you will save fuel.

But it’s not clear if you’ll save money over the long term.

When it’s time to replace your vehicle battery and you find out you need to buy the more expensive battery required for start-n-go operation, you’ll question if the feature is really costing you more money.

We test drove one, it would take some getting used to. Does AC and heat stop also? I did not pay attention in the test drive. I was next to one today, could hear it restart every time a light turned green. guess I should turn up the radio if I care.

I had a rental on a business trip with the stop/start feature. It annoyed me at first, but I eventually got used to it.

Increases mpgs (a bit), minor irritation unless poorly done.

I hear these cars starting and stopping all the time during my walk-a-bouts, very common thing in this area anyway. It seems like it would lower gasoline usage a little, that’s the main plus. The main downside is wear and tear on the starter and battery, and associated inconveniences and cost with that. Some of these start/stop vehicles require a special battery, the replacement cost of which is considerably more than the typical replacement battery apparently. OP can use the forum search feature (above right) to see recent threads on this topic from start/stop vehicle owners. Me, I wouldn’t buy a car w/that feature unless it could be easily turned off.

1 Like

Drivers don’t want to pretend that they are driving a hybrid or an electric car, they need the comfort of the engine rumble and pollution from the tail pipe while waiting at traffic lights.

I wouldn’t want one. Everything is a trade off. Gas went from $2.11 to $2.04 with reports of being at $1.99. So how much actual money is saved with the engine turning off at every stop light? And how many stop lights to you normally encounter every day? And at 20 below in the winter do you really want the engine shutting off at stop lights, or when it’s 95 out? Then the meager gas savings compared to the extra cost of the starter, battery and additional wear and tear? Golfing is one thing where the cart shuts off all the time, but in normal driving? Not for me.

I would take the hit on the gas money and not want this technology that would put wear and tear on the starter and the battery. Replacing those would wipe all the gas money savings and some.

My sons Grand Am gets bad gas mileage similar to yours (which was renamed the G6), 17 MPG city or 18 MPG for yours.
The 2019 model (sold at Chevrolet dealers as the Malibu) with auto start is rated at 29 city. I suppose it only makes a difference if you live in a city but if you don’t when would the engine get a chance to stop?

Seems the primary purpose is to get slightly better EPA/CAFE numbers.
What would be interesting, to me, would be long term comparison of total cost per mile with and without stop and go.
One a new vehicle I would require that there is an ‘off’ option for S&G, likewise an override option on anti collision/adaptive cruise control. This based on a comment from a Subaru owner. She was riding in my car, a car made a left turn about a 100 feet in front of us. I slowed down to allow the other car to complete their turn. She stated (perhaps an exaggeration) her Subie would have stopped.

1 Like

Is it the same engine, though? Actually, I can answer that myself as there’s no way autostop alone increases gas mileage by 10 mpg or roughly 30%.

My opinion, if I’m going to be sitting idle that long, I can turn the engine off myself. One “auto” feature I’d rather keep manual.

1 Like

My 2017 F150 has the Auto Stop Start feature. I find it annoying but benign. I am disappointed I cannot permanently disable it. There is a dash button to disable it, but it is reset every time you shut the vehicle off. Since I don;t use the truck in classic stop/go situation, I doubt the savings over the life of the truck will compensate for the extra costs associated with the special battery and starter.

No, Grand Am last produced 2005. Many,many, changes/improvements on a 2019 Malibu. I doubt there is any comparison between the two other than having four wheels on the ground. Like comparing the horsepower&torque of a 1950s flathead 6 to a modern V6.

1 Like

There are ways to make the default “off”. Then you have to push the button to turn it on, rather than turning it off every time.

I assume your truck is the 2.7 liter Ecoboost. How are you liking it?

I have the 3.5L EcoBoost. What way is there to make the default off? As far as I can see paging through all my set-up options there isn’t one. Perhaps a dealer with the Ford scanner can do it. If so, will they for a reasonable fee? My Son has a fancy Snap-On Scanner. Is it possible he could do it?

I am happy with my F150. I don’t drive it a lot, mostly around the farm. It is almost 2 years old hand doesn’t have 10,000 miles on the Odometer yet. It has probably spent a third of it’s life pulling a 16 foot cattle trailer. Fuel mileage pulling the trailer is not great (>12 mpg) but similar to the truck it replaced (a 2009 F150 with a 4.6L V8). The 2017 has more features that the 2009 but otherwise similar (both are 4wd SuperCabs with 6’6” bed). You would never guess it was a V6 from the sound or the power. I’ve done very little straight highway driving, so I don’t have a good feel for highway mileage without a trailer, but I think it will make the low 20’s.

Ed

The 3.5s have equal or greater HP than the 5.0 Coyote and much better/flatter torque curve. Even then, unloaded, I can easily, unintentionally chirp the tires with my 5.0.
I doubt you can have it changed to ‘default off”, there might even be an EPA regulation preventing the option. Just a guess on my part.