Engine stalls upon braking

Hello Mechanical Geniuses,

I have a 1995 Pontiac grand am SE with 145000+ miles on it. This is my problem: When I am driving on the highway, say 65mph, and I have to come to a gradual stop for say a stop light, when I start braking the vehicle wobbles (I can feel the car wobble and the steering wheel shakes) and then the engine dies. The car starts back up fine when I shift into park but then when I shift from park to drive, first, or second gear the engine dies again. It is only after I let the engine idle in park for about ten minutes or turn the car completely off for ten minutes or so that the problem go away. The car sometimes has problems engaging gears as well. The accelerator will move in and the engine will get more gas but it takes a second or two for the engines react. And when it does react it lurches forward hard.

Does anybody know what the problem and solution would be?

Sincere Thanks for any Help,

Ryan

I think you need to see a mechanic it sounds like you have a major problem. Perhaps transmission… I’m not sure but you should have a mechanic look at it soon this has to be frustrating.

Your transmission’s Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid is not releasing when you hit the brakes, a common GM problem.

Agreed. A relatively inexpensive fix compared to a lot of transmission fixes.

It may be the brake booster is ruptured and losing vacuum each time you push the brake pedal. With the car sitting at idle, push the brake pedal. Does the idle roughen? If yes, it’s caused by the brake booster.

The idle does NOT roughen when I push the brake. I do not believe it is the brake booster.

I was wondering if anyone knew how much a Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid costs and where abouts it is located on the vehicle. I have the tools in my shop to fix the problem, I’ve just never had to repair such a part before. Any advice or links to resources would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!