Engine Shot, Mechanic offers to take it

A friend had a similar situation on a car that his daughter hit a deer with. The salvage yard that was conveniently next door to the towing operation offered him $200 for an '01 Cavalier. It should have been about a $3200 car. I brought it 100 miles back to town with my trailer. He had it fixed locally with used parts for a total cash outlay of $800. You do the math.

Get that second opinion. IF it needs an engine, get one from a salvage yard and find a good backyard mechanic to put it in for you. Some salvage yards will do it for you. Try www.car-part.com for an engine near you IF you need one.

Will AAA pay for the second tow if you upgrade after the fact?

I prefer to have roadside assistance on my car’s insurance. It costs me about $2.50 every six months, and I don’t have to contribute to AAA’s political agenda.

I say change the oil and see if it starts. If it runs, get away from that mechanic, and drive it. If you really want to careful, change the oil again in a week or 2.

Careful now . . . if this guy IS shady and wants to rook you he’ll start charging storage (which he’s allowed to do in my state) and this can add up fast. If you want it, get it towed home ASAP. If not, take the title there, have it switched at a reputable notary, and write it off. Don’t just send the title to him. How is the rest of the car? Worth the trouble? How many times has it been said here? Change your oil regularly and do it yourself. Good luck and Happy Holidays! Rocketman