Car Dealership Robber Barons

The last time I had my '02 Chevy Tracker in for oil/filter change at Chevy dealership, (Mobil 1) they tried to charge me $89.95! Cashier said “somethings wrong here. Take this bill right back to Service Mgr.” They hemmed and hawed, stated my Tracker (6 cyl) requires 6.5 qts of oil. I displayed all my reciepts from various venues, they finally agreed to reduce bill to $69.95, and acted like I was robbing them. I’ll never go back there. Thoughts, anyone?

We are getting only half the story. Maybe a lot less than half. I’m not touching this one any further.

I will point out, however, that this forum continually advises its visitors to avoid bringing their cars to the dealership for any service other than warranty work. Your report merely emphasizes our viewpoint.

How about providing some details first?
What all else was entailed in this oil change?
What kind of oil was used? Full synthetic and if so, what kind?

How about breaking the bill down here piece by piece and let’s take a look at it.

OK, I’m not sure how much you expected to pay. Your car requires 7 quarts of oil plus a filter (probably $40-50) plus about a 1/2 hour of labor (probably the minimum). That would explain the $90 bill.

If you are concerned about cost, you re likely to find better prices at an independent shop. Avoid the quickie oil change places.

If they acted like you were robbing them, then they should learn how to act. The price was only a little high if it was only an oil change. My plastic drain container isn’t big enough to hold the 6.5 quarts of oil. Even if it was, I couldn’t lift it. If you did it yourself, it would cost you $45 dollars for the oil and filter. Then you would have to take the oil to a place that disposes of it for free. That could cost you $2 for gas if you take it four miles. The price you paid was OK. The price they wanted was too much.

I can’t see your point. It would appear the price was a little high, but without knowing all they did, what they may have said, what the agreement/work order may have said etc. it is not really possible to say.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

I think you should find yourself a good independent mechanic and stay away from the dealer. Why are they pouring Mobll 1 into the engine of a Tracker? So they can charge you more money, that’s why! The oil and filter for this vehicle would cost about $20 if purchased at an auto parts store.

As I stated, it was a simple oil and filter change, using synthrtic (Mobil 1) oil. No more, no less. I utilize synthetic for the convenience of not having to change oil every 3,000 miles. I generally go 5K or 5.5K between changes. You are so right about not utilizing the dealer for such work, and I never will, again.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges, using M1 oil and a decent filter would cost about $40-50, even if you do it yourself. An independent shop might do it for $40 if they use cheap oil. Using M1, you might save $10-20 by going to an independent shop and having it done for $60-70.

Any particular reason the OP does not want to post the specifics, or is this a bash and run?

The OP did back in with a few specifics.
See the second post, submitted by Anonymous.

maybe I am ‘lucky’, since my local toyota dealership charges $50 for the 5000 mile …oil/filter change and tire rotation plus visual inspection…price is quoted up front… not all dealerships are trying to rip off their customers.

They got a simple oil and filter change. I STILL have not seen the bill broken down here.
How many quarts of oil and how much per qt?
How much for a filter, and assuming it’s genuine GM?
How much labor; point .5 X the hourly shop rate?
How much sales tax, enviro fees, shop supplies %, etc?

Still wonderin’.

Just checkin’ in to see if any details are ever going to appear.
I’m real curious as to whether Mobil One was forced upon the OP or whether they specifically asked for it.

How much did that 6.5 (billed as 7) quarts of Mobil One and the filter add up to, sans tax? :wink:

You mentioned receipts from before. Just curious, what have you been paying for an oil change up to now?

While dropping by a local AutoZone today, I noticed the price of Mobil One is 8.19 per quart.

Seven qts at 8.19 per = 57.33 (at AutoZone rate)
Tack on filter (8?) sales tax (5.50?) (both may be higher)
Now we’re at approx. 65 dollars already with no enviro fees, shop supply charge, or labor.

The dealer whacked this down to 69 dollars because of some complaining.
Congratulations, the service dept. just went into the hole on this one.