Engine ping

hi, my 2008 jeep wrangler x 6 cyl pings upon acceleration. 62000 miles. any suggestions to correct?

What grade of fuel does the motor require? Per the book, or the inside of the fuel door.

What grade of fuel are you using?

it says 87 and to tell you the truth, i don’t ck the octane at the pump, always get regular at wawa.

87 is regular, so that should be OK. There are some components that assist to control that. Hopefully someone better at that part than I will step up and assist. I know they’re here. :slight_smile:

thank you! i’ll be patiently waiting!

You should have your EGR system checked out. One would think that if there was a problem it would throw a code (is your check engine light on, by chance?). But it can very well have issues without throwing a code.

Engines still have a method of advancing and retarding the spark according to operating conditions. It was once done mechanically but now it’s done electronically. The ECM, engine control module is what controls spark advance now…A competent mechanic can check and see if the ignition timing is correct…Also, most modern engines have a knock sensor that signals the ECM to back off the timing if detonation is detected. That function should be checked also…