I have a Toyota Corolla 2010 S. A rat/mouse ate the cable which connects the Input/Turbine Speed Sensor. I have check engine light on with VSC off signal. I am not sure what would be right way to go. My assumption is that it won’t be covered by the warranty as it’s rodent damage. Let me know what you guys think about it.
You are correct that rodent damage is not covered by warranty–nor should it be.
You really need to have the wiring repaired, as your car is not going to operate properly until proper repairs are done. As to the VSC light, that is essentially an automatic result of the CEL being on. Since VSC requires a properly-functioning engine and transmission, this wiring problem has resulted in the VSC shutting down. Repair the wiring and both lights should go off, but it could take a few driving cycles for them to be extinguished.
If you don’t get this repaired, you could wind up with a cascading series of problems resulting from the original one. And, this series of problems would also likely not be covered by warranty.
Unfortunately, all I can do is to urge you to do three things:
Have the wiring replaced/repaired a.s.a.p.
Brush hot pepper sauce on all exposed wiring under the hood. This will discourage gnawing.
Put mouse traps and possibly poison in your garage to get rid of the offending critters.
Just be very careful about poison if you have pets or children.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. I went to see the dealer and he asked me 3 hours of labor $90/hour ($270 in total). Is that reasonable? Any suggestions in lowering the cost of the repair.
Somebody could do it for less, but if you have the dealer do it you should be covered for the warranty period. Your Choice.