Engine light on 02 Toyota Corrola Code P1349

Engine light on 02 Toyato Corrola

Diagnosis by AutoZone Code P1349

Probable cause

Open or short circuit condition

poor electrical connection

My question is

Could I do some DIY to figure out by myself?

How much if I give it to Firestone in St Louis?

Thank you so much for your help.

Please tell us the symptoms that you are experiencing with the car.

While I don’t have any reference for this number for Toyotas, that trouble code number on some other makes (including Toyota’s Lexus vehicles) indicates a problem with the Variable Valve Timing (VVT). Does this car have VVT?

This is what can cause DTC P1349.

Defective VVT oil control valve, defective VVT contoller, or a defective Engine Control Unit.

Tester

No symptoms, maybe a little more noise,
I do not know is there VVT on 02 corrola, sorry.

Do you have any idea how much to fix it, thanks,

Please, stay away from Firestone chains for anything, even tires. Find a good independent mechanic. Firestone chains have a bad reputation, and it gets worse if tires are not involved.

Fix WHAT??? What makes you think something is broken?? Are you willing to spend $1000 to make a light go off?? Reset the light and see if it stays off…

Probably a problem with Variable Valve Timing (VVT). VVT issues seem to be uncommon. The only one I recall being discussed on this board was a couple of months ago, and seemed probably to be an oil pressure problem. On that vehicle, VVT seemed to be driven by a controller that used oil pressure to adjust the cam position and the guy with the problem knew he had an oil pressure problem. No guarantee the Corolla works the same way.

Here’s a link to the Wikipedia article on VVT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing

So, maybe check the oil. If the level is not OK, add enough oil of whatever spec and weight is recommended for the vehicle to bring the oil level up to normal. Then clear the code and see if it comes back. If it does, you’ll need to do some research.

If adding oil cures the problem, check the oil every couple of days. If the oil level stays OK, you can Gradually extend the check interval to a couple of weeks. I wouldn’t go much beyond that. While you have the hood open to check the oil, the brake fluid level, power steering fluid level, coolant level in the overflow tank, and transmission fluid level. Only takes a minute and could save you an expensive repair or hospital/funeral home visit.

V V T in an '02 Corrola??? I think not…

If it doesn’t have VVT, why would a DTC P1349 show up for VVT?

This vehicle DOES have VVT.

Tester

You learn something new everyday…

This vehicle DOES have VVT.

Since 1998.