Engine dying on 2002 Subaru Outback

I have a LL Bean Subaru Outback '02 with 122,000 miles. In the spring, my husband had it die on the freeway in rush hour going about 25mph. Engine and check oil light on. He pulled over and it started up fine and drove home. Took it in to our dealership and they didn’t know what to do. It just happened again to me with city driving at about the same speed. Fortunate to have a pullout. Started right back up. Again, they have no idea. Both time right after service maintenance. Just had my 120k service. Related to the airfilter… loose hoses? MAF sensor? Someone suggested these possiblities. Any advice would be most welcome! Thank you!

Take it to a shop/mechanic who do know what to do. It would help to “oil the waters” if you told the repairer that you are willing to pay for a certain amount of diagnostic time. Usually, diagnostic pay doesn’t pay for lunch; so, a mechanic would be more willing to spend some diagnostic time if he got “lunch”.

it sounds like it is vaporlocking to me

forgive my ignorance, but what is ‘vaporlocking’?

The first area I would check would be in the ignition system. (Of course, I mean, your mechanic would check, among others.) The ignition system produces the spark for the spark plugs.

Modern cars, with the fuel pump in the gas tank, don’t have “vapor lock”.