Engine died while driving

Vehicle is 1988 Nissan D21 pickup z2.4i 4 cylinder tbi

The motor died while accelerating onto the freeway rpms were about 4500 rpms. Motor cut out and would not restart. It cranks fine and sounds normal and tried to kick over a couple times.

What I do know is no odd sounds came from the motor when it died or while cranking after. The timing chain is still on and turning with motor. It is getting spark, whether it is good enough to ignite the fuel I do not know yet. It is also getting fuel which is where it gets interesting. The fuel is not igniting and has filled the exhaust. So obviously motor is flooded. I will not be able to look at it until tomorrow so I am looking at possibilities of what happened until I can trouble shoot. I will check the codes on the motor first as I don’t know if any were thrown yet due to this vehicle not having a check engine light. I know it should but Nissan trucks did not until obdII even though it was required. On this you have to pull the passenger seat and run the diagnostic mode on the computer itself.

Any insight into what may have happened is appreciated as the only possibilities I can think of with not looking at it yet is the injectors stuck open and flooded it or the spark was not strong enough to ignite the fuel.

Fouled spark plugs? Burning oil? Fuel pressure? 'NOID fuel injector test lights to check for continuously energized fuel injector. Jumped timing? http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c1528004f37b