Engine decarbonization

This is being recommended by my Honda dealer for a 2007 Accord V6 with 80,000 miles. It runs great right now.

Anyone feel this is worthwhile or important??

If it runs well and does not ping, I would just keep driving. and do nothing.

Years ago when cars had carburetors, there was an additive called “Karbout”. It softened the carbon deposits in the engine caused by too rich a fuel mixture, and was quite effective.

I’ve never used a de-carbon additive in a fuel injected car.

Unless they can somehow demonstrate a problem with carbon buildup, it’s a pocket-lining scheme, IMO. If you are concerned, throw a dose of Techron or Seafoam into the gas tank and drive on.

Do NOT suck seafoam into your engine through the intake . . . unless you WANT to lay down a smokescreen and alarm the neighbors

Shops that have walnut shell blasters feel compelled to sell decarboning treatments and while they are worthwhile on high performance engines that are rarely driven above cruising speed the daily drivers that see a reasonable amount of miles at freeway speeds while being regularly maintained don’t need it. For most people it’s as useless as filling tires with nitrogen. For years I would take my parents vehicles and drive them aggressively for 10 to 20 miles every few months to prevent excess carbon build up due to their driving being limited to city streets at <30 mph and usually trips <5 miles. 400+ cubic inch engines never reached normal operating temperabure and carburetors were running rich most of the time for them.

And I agree that a bottle of Techron at each oil change would likely be all the carbon cleaning most family cars ever need due to the efficiency of today’s fuel injection systems.

It’s sole purpose is to prevent excess buildup in your bank account.

It is neither worthwhile nor important. You should find a different shop to take your SUV to. This dealer shows little regard for you, and it is time to find someone that does. Ask everyone you know for recommendations for a mechanic. Eventually, a couple will show up with multiple recommendations, and they are the ones to try.

Concur w/comments above. Absent symptoms, that’s not needed. An independent shop is a better place to have an 07 serviced in most cases. Dealership shops focus their training and equipment to service newer models.

Dealership shops focus their training and equipment to service newer models.

Who will be replacing all of those Takata airbags?

You are of course correct, dealerships do some warranty and recall work on older models too. I don’t think an engine decarb treatment would apply.

This question reminds me of the “engine shampoo” episode:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/1126-engine-and-wallet-massage

Needless to say, Tom and Ray had a lot of fun with that one.

My dad used to decarbonize any engine before he tore it down for a complete rebuild. He would run one gallon of hot water and Bon Ami through the smallest vacuum hose at a high idle. It cleaned the engine and did make it better to finish cleaning the parts. Just like smoking…it was one of his habits that I never picked up.

LOL, that’s a new one on me. I’d be highly reluctant to try it… except on someone else’s engine! And I know just the person (snicker snicker). :smiley: