Engine cooling system 2000 Dodge durango

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango 4x4 SLT.

My cooling system is working fine when driving but I soon as I stop @ traffic light for more than 3-5min (during summer) the temperature gage go higher very rapidly. My car is overheating @ this point. The sooner I take off, everything goes back to normal & the temperature gage goes lower to normal standard

Any suggestions.

Thank you.

Sounds like the cooling fan(s) are not working properly. Does it make any difference if the AC is on?

Yes the electric cooling fan, or perhaps the radiator’s air circuit is plugged with bugs and debris.

It could easily be the sensor that tells the fan to turn on, wiring to the fan, or the fan itself.

You will be able to see and feel if the fan turning or not when you pop the hood when it’s running hot.

1-800-RADIATOr has most fans at decent prices. It’s not a difficult repair if you have some mechanical ability.

This should have a belt-driven fan. The fan clutch may be bad. To tell, when the engine begins to overheat, open the hood. When the engine is cool, the fan should be disconnected, and turning slower than the engine. When it is hot, and getting too hot, the fan should be pulling a lot of air, and turning just as fast as the engine. You should be able to tell the difference. If you cannot tell the difference, you probably have a bad fan clutch.

Another way to check for a bad fan clutch is to get the engine up to operating temperature, then shut the engine off, open the hood and try spinning the fan by hand. If the fan clutch is good, the fan shouldn’t spin more than a half a revolution. If the fan spins more than that, the fan clutch is defective.

Tester