End of life for typical Prius compared to an ICE?

It doesn’t seem Honda had anything special. Once they built a direct Prius competitor it got similar mileage.

Are you talking about the first Prius sold in the USA . . . the rather small sedan, which looked a lot like a Toyota Echo or Yaris . . . ?

I’m not sure I’d call the Civic Hybrid a “direct Prius competitor” . . . one was a mild hybrid, while the other wasn’t

Even though they were both hybrids, they weren’t using the same exact hybrid technology

Perhaps somebody else can explain this better than I can . . . ?!

Could u be specific - from Edmunds:
2010 Prius: 51 / 48 / 50 mpg
2010 Insight 40 / 43 / 41 mpg

Could you be specific - give examples?
A m/c told me that his wife’s Prius was fine but a client had the touch screen failing - replacement came from Toyota was expensive and wiping out the savings on gas. He also added after 2005, the ICE engine isn’t great. This m/c was awesome in his work and integrity

Again, what does a failed touch screen have to do with anything?

Reliability and Financial sense.
M/c said customer complained that the reliability issue wiped the gas savings and made Prius a bad investment!

I guess. I’d then say that the Prius overall is one of the most reliable cars on the road. Bad luck for the failed screen, meaningless in the overall analysis.

1 Like

Then why are you asking unknown strangers ? You do realize there are Forums just for Prius owners .
I also say the touch screen has nothing at all to do with the reliability because that can be a problem on any brand.

If an aspect of a car is unreliable, then its a deal breaker for me.
Cars are made to withstand Hot and Cold weather - and vibration. It goes through rigorous testing.

If a component can last only a couple of years and parts are sold at premium then its a deal breaker for me. Why would a touch screen cost ten times more than a tablet? They could have left at a USB C interface so people can bring their own device. Why would radio needs to be controlled via the touch screen?

2 Likes

Then you may be a candidate for leasing the cheapest thing you can find for three years and then do it again . You can’t compare a mass produced tablet to an in dash integrated touch screen system in a vehicle . And if you don’t want problems then you should avoid complicated vehicles which Hybrid of any brand is.

I believe its called “think outside the box”

I’m mainly talking about the hybrid battery technology . . . Prius was miles ahead of Civic Hybrid, in terms of reliability and longevity

you and I seem to be on a different wavelength

You seem to focusing on the touch screen, whereas I’m focusing on the hybrid battery technology

it does not, it has much more simple and reliable transmission, you can get a great explanation here for example:

considering Prius has touchscreen to control HVAC and radio, it’s quite important to have it working

I’m praying for my 14-years old one not to fail

Did a quick search on prius touchscreen repair, $299 fflat rate with a 1 year warranty.

Pls don’t get confused with Transaxle Vs MotorGenerator - here it is - there are more links online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfaFjHTOboc

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=toyota+prius+motor+generator+

Link please

I’m not getting confused :slight_smile:
The thing is so amazingly simple (thus RELIABLE) on mechanical side.
The complexity was moved to the electronic controls, which Toyota sem to get right too.

Oh man, I’d forgotten about that one. No, I was talking about the first hatchback that people actually bought. :wink: Though I checked and my MPG numbers were low by about 10 – still the same points, though, vs the first-gen Insight.

Yeah, the Prius beats the Insight now, but that wasn’t true in the early days. I’m talking about 1999/2000-era hybrids.

Then there are no cars which are suitable for you. Pretty much all cars have something that tends to go wrong more frequently.

Our Prius was great. Went 191,000 miles with 1 or 2 small repairs, just brakes and oil changes and recommended maintenance. The main battery started dying, slowly, and i looked into replacing it, but we decided to get a new all-electric car instead. For those small repairs, I got parts and advice from AutoBeYours in Indiana- Prius salvage guy who knows them in and out and saved me lotsa money and time.