Elusive 08 Prius Touring Package 5

I have been trying to get an 2008 Toyota Prius Touring Package 5 for two months. On Feb. 2 I put a down payment on a special order for it from my local Toyota dealer. They tell me that Toyota doesn’t sell that particalular package in my area (California) and they can’t even special order it. This seems ridiculous to me… Toyota advertises their aggressive sales goals yet won’t sell me the car I want. Has anyone been able to buy a 2008 Toyota Prius Touring Package 5?

Gee, is this your first time buying a new car in California? California is practically a different country in terms of car companies’ offerings because there’s different requirements cars must meet there that go beyond the federal requirements. If this “touring package” has actual mechanical differences, as opposed to just spoilers and racing stripes, it’s entirely possible that it doesn’t meet some California requirement and isn’t available there. It could also just be an internal marketing decision-- Toyota might just figure they’re not going to have any trouble selling Priuses to Californians and will save this fancy package for places where Prius sales are slower. If this is the case, you may be able to get it at an out-of-state dealer.