Elio Motors -Scam?

Polestar is there too, at least the last time I was in that area.

The Rivian SUV and truck look pretty neat to be honest. I didnā€™t look into them a ton but I would hope there is some means of recharging these out in the wilderness. I have spent time in the desert where their promotional videos were filmed and you might not see a gas station or live electric service for over 100 miles. I would want solar panels if I was going someplace like this but suspect they might take days to fully recharge this way. Also, I guess you could just charge enough to get out of the remote area and recharge where there is power.

It makes sense that the higher end and higher cost startups like this are able to make a go of it. Sometimes car makers make more off one high end car than a lot of lesser models. The profit from an Escalade is a lot more than a Sonic or some other cheaper GM car. Recouping investment from something meant to be sold at an extremely low cost just might not work. They wonā€™t be able to make and sell enough of them fast enough to make it work out. Something where you make $30,000 with each unit sold is a better bet. It makes sense they are putting these on display in higher end areas.

I recently spent some time in the Vail-Avon-Beaver Creek, Colorado areas and you would think money grew on trees. I saw more high end cars out there than ever before. You literally couldnā€™t go outside without seeing a Maserati, Bentley, or some other $200,000+ car! Of course there were supercar dealers offering test drives in some of the high end shopping areas with cars on display. I think there was one for Tesla which were also quite common in this area.

It is Colorado after all so there were plenty of time-tested 20+ year old Subarus as well.

Iā€™ve seen a couple of them here in the Seattle area.

I doubt Iā€™d ever buy a car w/3 wheels. Seems notably less stable than 4, and better traction for turning & stopping w/4. I suppose quite a few folks would buy a 3 wheeled car though; people buy motorcycles and they only have 2 wheels. Maybe the 3-wheeled car buyers are the same as the 3-wheeled bicycle riders.

The big reason these things have 3 wheels is that they only have to pass motorcycle regs. Donā€™t crash!!!

3 Likes

With 2 wheels in front and 1 in the rear they will be quite stable . Now 1 wheel in front and 2 in rear not very stable in turns . Remember the small 3 wheel ATV things that were always turning over ?

Rivian has a contract with Amazon for EV delivery vans. Amazon is already delivering packages with the Rivian vans and plans to deploy them in Seattle, Baltimore, Phoenix and Chicago. This contract is a good base for Rivianā€™s other activities.

Closest showroom is about 60mi away but we have 2 or 3 Rivian Truckā€™s locally, looks like a good in-between size truck