Elio Motors looks a lot more more like smoke and mirrors

Motorcycle policies in many of the northern states stop in November and start back up in April. It’s called a layup policy. Many have it built into the policy for those areas that see a lot of snow.

The insurance company will probably still pay the claim…and still laugh in your face…and then drop you the next day.

Dude, they don’t automatically terminate during winter. They’re more than happy to keep charging you. I buy a yearly policy that covers me the entire year. That’s an OPTION they give to most riders that do not ride through winter so you can suspend your policy/premiums. You’re turning an option into a mandate…

I suppose you insurance company would also laugh in your face if you got into a wreck in your car during a snowstorm. After all, most sane people are not out driving around, are they?

1 Like

Dude…never said they all did. I just pointed out that you can buy that type of policy if you want to.

There’s risk…and then there’s unreasonable risk. Driving in a snow storm in a 4wd vehicle is still risky. Driving a motorcycle us extremely unreasonable.

Anytime you want to try to drive down the street I grew up on during a snow storm with a motorcycle equipped anyway you want to…let me know…I’ll sell tickets and pop-corn to all the neighbors so we can all have a good laugh watching you wipe out either going up the or down one of the hills. That is if you can even get there without killing yourself. We’ll have an ambulance and tow truck standing by.

I think it’s important to differentiate between federal requirements for the manufacturers and those imposed upon owners. In many states, even cars are no longer tested once in the hands of owners. Federal requirements apply to all manufacturers regardless of where the bikes head. They’re not the same for bikes as for cars, but they apply across the board.

1 Like

I used to travel to Florida on business all the time, and no question about it, there are hills. Every interchange on the highway has a hill for the overpass. I encountered many of them on my drives on the Bee Line. :blush:

1 Like

Couldn’t be very high…since the third highest mountain in Florida is Space Mountain at Disney world.

http://www.123disney.com/mkattractions/mk27.html

2 Likes

Sad little hills… More like humps really… and darn few corners of any interest, too! Guess I need to plan a trip to the Tail of the Dragon :smiley:

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with long straight roads, especially when people are driving like idiots. Having been to the mountains and ridden the swisties, I prefer having long sight distances where I can see what’s ahead, because in those twisty mountain passes, the locals often pass me, driving at unsafe speeds, because I’m riding slow enough to react to what I can see.

Coincidentally, I just ran across this article from the AMA about how to ride safely during the winter, even in snow. :wink:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riding/Story/extend-your-riding-season-cold-weather-strategies

I did a search for HD cost and came up with motorcycle.com for the 2017 models. I was surprised that I didn’t see a Sportster there, but they do have 10 models listed. Still, the point was that the Can-Am trike wasn’t all that expensive compared to some other, similar products on the market. I don’t ride anymore and haven’t paid attention to bikes for 30 years.

It’s a joke, Mike. You’ve heard of jokes haven’t you? Who in the world would think a comment like that would be serious, especially with a smiley emoticon? Gad Zooks, Man! :blush:

@Whitey I’ve been to the Tail a couple of times… and YES the locals and some visitors blast around the slower bikes. And there are lots of slower bikes, like most big Harleys and Gold Wings towing trailers. Riding at or a little below the speed limit, you will have company.

The Tail gets a little silly with the knee dragging sportbike riders but there are twistys that are the road less traveled, so to speak. The Blue Ridge Parkway with its 35 mph speed limit and gentle turns with fantastic views is one. The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway for another. Many other small 2 lanes ignored by the footpeg draggers. Heck, there are no scratches on the footpegs of my bike!

Add night time and opportunity to run into deer to those twisty rides for the ultimate pucker factor. That, or logging trucks coming at you around a bend… yikes!

They’ve put up signs and prohibited commercial trucks from driving through the Dragon’s Tail, but one occasionally slips through, and when that happens, look out.

No kidding. Between the semis and all the people who now know about the Dragon thanks to the internet, that road isn’t really any fun anymore.

I know this discussion is kind of old, but I just looked at the Elio motors website, and I noticed something amusing

They’re talking about 76% of Americans driving solo to work everyday, and they show a picture of heavy traffic on a freeway. Yet if you look closely, it’s CLEAR it’s not a picture of any freeway in the usa. There are 2 VW Beetles with taxi displays on the roof. Not “new beetles” but the old ones which were built in Mexico until recently. Another car which is readily identifiable is a 1st generation Jetta, the small one with the 4 rectangular sealed beams. I also believe I recognize another small car . . . it was called Corsa in Europe, made by GM . . . which was also never sold here

Makes me think the picture is of a Mexican freeway, or maybe central or south america. In any case, it’s pretty insulting. They’re trying to sell cars here, but they can’t even use appropriate stock images. It’s not even a color image, for pity’s sake . . . !

For me, that says it all . . . the whole idea is a scam, they don’t even care about stock images, perhaps figuring nobody pays attention to details like that. Like you guys said, in all likelihood, the only guy actually profiting from all of this is Elio himself. I feel sorry for any employees and anybody that actually paid money to “reserve” this non-existent car, which in all likelihood will NEVER be built

1 Like

The Polaris thing is a blast to drive!

Three wheeled motorcycles, and regular motorcycles, can be used in HOV lanes all over the country. I rode a regular motorcycle up I-95 and I-395 12 months a year in the rain and sun, but not on snow. It saved me hundreds of dollars a month in parking, tolls and transit fares. And I could come and go whenever I wanted. I think I left it home a total of 10 days a year for snow. Mine had a windshield, heated seat and heated hand grips.

A three wheeled with 2 wheels up front, like those shown here, were as stable as any car or truck I’ve ever driven. There are even winter tires made for them.

“You ride a bike in NH or upstate NY in the snow you’ll get pulled over and fined and the bike will be hauled off.”

I don’t know about NH, but I know NY. I did it for years and I never got pulled over for riding a motorcycle in the snow. There are snow tires and studded snow tires available. This is just anti-motorcycle propaganda.

While I never really liked riding in snow, I did it for years, never had an accident in the snow. If you can drive your car in it, you can ride in it. You just need the right tires and the right kind of bike. Preferably an enduro equipped with studs.

You clearly have an anti motorcycle bias. It is only your opinion that driving a motorcycle is an accident waiting to happen. It is not. No cop is going to pull anyone over just for riding a motorcycle on snow and charge them with reckless endangerment.

If that motorcycle were to get into an accident and caused damage to life or property, he might be charged with reckless endangerment, but the same is true of any auto driver.

And repeating an untruth on the internet in this forum does not make it true. In fact I am reactivating this ancient thread to make sure that anyone that looks here sees a rebuttal to your ridiculous comment.