Electronic Rust Protection - what are your opinions?

Someone just told me that there exists a product that does not need to be applied as a rust protection treatment - it is Electronic Rust Protection!! Do any members here have any information or opinions about this, i.e. does it work!? I wish to keep the Nissan Cube I am purchasing this week, for 20 years-without rust!

Thanks.

Don’t buy it. Just keep it clean. That’s the best rust protection. I have heard of this one and I don’t believe it has any scientific credibility. It’s sort of like that new fuel economy gizmo that plugs into your cigarette lighter and supposedly takes all the scrambled signals out of your wiring and computer and cleans up the signals to increase your fuel economy. Yeah, right.

Seriously, the old fashioned way is the best way. Check out your other post on the same subject for plenty of good advice on rust protection.

i see you’ve been shopping for alternatives to undercoating. sorry there aint no magic bullet!

Your Cube has been rustproofed at the factory using state-of-the-art technology. Nothing else is needed. Unless you live in an area where they throw salt on the roads 9 months out of the year you shouldn’t have to worry much about rust.

Almost any vehicle will last 20 years these days, given a modicum of care. If you park the vehicle in a garage you can really lengthen its life.

Don’t waste your money on any sort of aftermarket rust preventatives. You don’t need them.

Gadgets like this are typically scams. Is there such a thing as electronic corrosion control? Yes, but I’ve not heard of it used on cars. Galvanic protection is used on stationary things like buried pipelines. I’d avoid it.

The Navy uses a type of electronic rust control, so it’ll work if you plan on keeping your car half submerged in salt water all the time, otherwise it a waste of time and money.

My opinions are subject to change with new facts

Buy it as soon as you but a bottle of Brighto. Remember Brighto"

“Brighto, Brighto,
makes old bodies new,
we’ll sell a million bottles,
woo, woo, woo, woowoo”.

There’s always “redneck rust-proofing”: spritz the underbody down with a liberal dose of used motor oil.

Granted, It’ll turn your car into a slimy, polluting, disgusting mess, but it’ll be a slimy, polluting, rust-free disgusting mess!

Really, just make a point of washing the salt off the underbody on a regular basis. Additionally, in winter, either park the car in a place well below freezing, or well above–45F garages just promote rust!

The theory works, but non it cars. It works for bridges and seagoing ships. Not cars.

I wish to keep the Nissan Cube I am purchasing this week, for 20 years-without rust!

Park it in your living room and don't drive it.  There is no magic fix.  

The good news is modern cars don't rust nearly as much as the older cars. 

Hint: Many fixes like undercoating, can cause more problems than they fix because they can defeat the manufacturers modern anti-rust features like drains.

… in winter, either park the car in a place well below freezing, or well above–45F garages just promote rust!

That is worth repeating.

Nothing works against rust additionally besides proper vehicle design from the engineering board. The hard part is that you have no idea on how a vehicle does.

The aftermarket products have absolutely no proof that they help. The majority of owners(90%) dump their vehicle long before they ever find out the product worked.