Electric Vehicle Hauling Capacity

We have two e-bikes, each weighing about 50 pounds. We have the only hitch mounted rack strong enough to carry the bikes which also weighs about 50 pounds. We haul this around currently with a Lexus RX350. We go through the mountains from Denver to Grand Junction, CO, on less than a tank of gas.

Are any of the auto manufacturers who are committed to going all electric in the near future going to be able to produce a vehicle with that kind of hauling capacity including the range for us to make that trip? We really need the hitch mount rack due to the weight of the bikes. Shoving them in the back of an SUV would be a significant problem.

Ford says the F150 Lightning will tow 7700 lbs with the standard battery and 10,000 lbs with the extended range battery.

1 Like

What distance?

243 miles though the Rocky Mountains, you may need to stop at a charging station, there are many on I70.

1 Like

Bike carriers on a hitch are not a major range deleter. Bolt owners do it already. What are range deleters are weight and cold weather. No automaker has a solution for long-distance towing of a trailer with BEVs. Mainly because you can’t rely on the charging network to accommodate a vehicle with a trailer behind it. Toyota’s RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid-electric vehicle is the best solution by far today. You could use one now and never have any issues. The RAV4 is officially rated for a trailer hitch that can hold more than bikes and it comes with zero range concerns. 94 MPGe, 40 MPG in my testing when the vehicle is operating in hybrid mode. There is no conventional mode. Every one built has AWD and a spare tire. The vehicle is at a minimum 50% greener than an equivalent conventional vehicle. The first 42 miles are all EV.

1 Like

I agree, I wouldn’t trust any current EV to make that non stop through the mountains.

Thanks. Not interested in a truck.

around 270 miles from our house to Grand Junction.

I should clarify that I’m asking about future developments, say 5 years out.

It would be hard to give you the answer because things are always changing and upgraded. you are about 3-4 years too early to answer.

1 Like

Let’s clarify exactly what the OP needs for this… two 50 lb bikes and a 50 lb bike carrier, and an EV with a 300 mile range (to be safe)

Already exists. You need a class 2 hitch with a 150 lb tongue weight to carry your bikes. You need a 300 mile range EV to carry that 150 lbs with a tad more aero drag than without.

Tesla Model 3, 353 mile range with a Draw-Tite Class III hitch
Tesla Model Y, 326 mile range, with a Draw-Tite Class III hitch
Mustang Mach E, 305 mile range, with a Curt Class III hitch

Three car/small SUVs you can buy today. Several more available with range that is a bit less also available if you can charge up halfway there. Done.

I wouldn’t trust any of them to make it through the mountains on one charge.

1 Like

come one… just drop a spare in the trunk!

1 Like

Just a thought: Most of the energy would be used going up the mountain. If you have enough to just go up, many it would take a tiny fraction of it going down considering regenerative braking.

1 Like

Electric car range is increasing every year. And there’s BILLIONS of dollars being pumped into research on batteries every year. These investors know that they could make a lot of money on this. I suspect in less then 10 years we’ll see 500+ mile range with the possibility of 1000 miles on ONE CHARGE. And the ability to recharge the battery in the time it currently takes to fill a 15 gallon tank.

I hope that they solve the heat issue during charging and use too. Several EV manufacturers use liquid cooling systems. For fast charging, maybe the vehicle’s cooling system could be used to reduce battery heating.

It is already happening as the car’s battery cooling system is doing that… but it has its limitations.
Li-Ion is very efficient at charge and discharge but you are forcing a chemical reaction, after all, and it isn’t 100% efficient.

I’m still very hopeful on totally new batteries that either in limited use (graphene batteries) or one of the several dozen of batteries that are still in development. Graphene I think is the front runner.

If Graphene Batteries Do Everything Scientists Say, They Could Be a Gamechanger (futurism.com)