Electric Paint Spray Gun Recommendation for Lanolin Undercoating

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend an electric paint spray gun for lanolin undercoating products such as Fluid Film, Wool Wax, Surface Shield?

I don’t currently have an air compressor, and think it would be to expensive, and am wondering if an electric spray gun would work. Looking at the air sprayer that comes with the fluid film kit:

60-90 psi at 5-8 CFM.
Even cheap harbor freight air compressor, the cheapest one that meets these requirements, costs over $400

So I’m looking to see if I can find a cheaper electric applicator of these products. I know there’s aerosol cans, but they clog and the gallon jugs are much cheaper. Mostly, what kind of specs/requirements should I look for in an electric spray gun? I know for air compressor, there’s specific psi and CFM, what specifications should I look for in an electric spray gun?

Wagner makes a line airless painters.

But it’s beyond me why someone would apply an undercoating to a used vehicle that could promote rust if not applied correctly.

Tester

This is Yoshi who has a history of coming up with silly ideas.

1 Like

Thanks.

I thought Lanolin products, displaced water, and can be applied to used vehicles that already have rust. It’s an oil/grease like substance that doesn’t trap moisture in the metal that it covers, but displaces existing moisture. While rubberized undercoating trap moisture inside the material and can make the rust worst. Rust encapsulation products like POR-15, I’ve heard can make rust worse if the surface is not properly prepared, it totally encapsulates the rust. So I thought you didn’t have this issue with lanolin based products, because it doesn’t totally encapsulate or cover the surface, and displaces moisture and let it out?

I’ve got an airless Wagner sprayer like a commercial model. It sprays normal latex just fine but on heavier bodied painst particularly Sherwin Williams, it is too heavy to spray even with the largest tip available. I can get it to spray if I use a little conditioner in the paint. This type of sprayer won’t work for you I’m sure. Mabe if you jumped up to the $2000 commercial units that can take a large tip size but why would you do that?

We also used one of those hand held sprayers at the cabin for stain and finishes but same deal. It is not going to spray anything heavy bodied. Really need a gun that would handle primer/surfacer and add a little compressor, but really not worth it money wise. Some air guns will even spray glue but it is all in the tip size and air powered.

Just get a brush and coveralls.

I think you’d get better results using a traditional spray gun and air compressor. You don’t absolutely need a huge, 27 gallon compressor. A smaller one will work, you’ll just have to spray a little, then wait for it to re-pressurize, repeat. The main disadvantage of the air compressor method is the amount of space it takes in your shop. But if you have plenty of space, suggest to take the tried and proved approach, but use a smaller compressor to save money.

If you’re trying to do it on the cheap, just go get one of these for $15 and do a small area at a time
Capture

2 Likes

So things like fluid film is ok on used cars? It’s not a rubberized undercoating, nor a rust encapsulation product like POR-15.

There is a lawn mower guy on YouTube that coats the bottom of the mower decks for his customers with fluid film to prevent rust. He swears by it. I have never coated mine and still don’t have a rust problem, so do what you want.

My issue is that I have no idea how thin or thick fluid film is and therefore what it would take to spray it. I had a cheap little air brush that would spray primer and even por15 but have had problems with guns being able to spray it. It all depends on the tip size available. That Wagner hand held we used worked fine for thin stain, but on the heavier finish coat, still sprayed it but worked so hard it collapsed the plastic cup. As a kid I used a burgess electric hand held for automotive paints, but they were relatively thin.

So I’d rather try a $20 primer gun from harbor freight and a little compressor, but it all depends on how thick that stuff is. If it is like oil, you’re gonna need a higher priced glue gun used in factories.
So again, just get under there with a brush unless you already have equipment to try spaying with. And an insecticide sprayer will not do it.

Why not use something like below on the rust and then paint over it.

Like i said, Wagner makes a line of sprayers.

Tester

Well there you go. Didn’t know they made such a thing. Only $250 or try a $15 Purdy brush. Like always no point making something simple complicated. We had a member that routinely brushed on used motor oil but if you buy the sprayer you could do all your friends cars too.

Why not just buy 3 or 4 cans of BoeShield and spray the underside of the car?

As we have seen, that would be too easy.

1 Like

Is BoeShield lanolin based product? Never heard of it. Am i ok to apply lanolin based products to already rust metal with little surface prep? I thought I was. It’s not a rubberized coating or enacapsulator, but an oil grease like substance that doesn’t dry out for long period of time.

Lanolin is “sheep wax” and not designed for what you are doing. Your car may have softer, more attractive undersides, it won’t prevent further rusting.

BoeSheild was designed as a corrosion preventative by Boeing.

1 Like

Right, I’m talking about lanolin based products like surface shield, fluid film, and surface shield, not just pure lanolin.

Is BoeShield better than fluid film, surface shield, and wool wax?

So many questions can be answered by the people that make the stuff on their web site FAQ for example:

Capture2

2 Likes

Bo shield is on a lot of wood working machines to prevent rust, especially those making the pacific trip. It is very hard to remove, but no rust. I gotta believe some cars already have some rust prevention on them. I remember using a can of rocker Schultz or something to prevent rocks from chipping the paint on some fenders. Seemed to work pretty good. Then there was something for inside door panels. All kinds of stuff out there. Then there is the final rust solution called trading, that works well. But suit yourself. Mother Nature though is a tough competitor.

The highest tip I can use on my airless is 519. But like I said not enough to be able to spray Sherwin Williams house stains and latex. Works fine on other brands. My house painters have the commercial $2000 models though that worked well. Maybe 515 would work, I dunno, but spend $500 on an airless only to find out you need a bigger boat?