Elantra v. Matrix

My co-worker has the Pontiac version of the Matrix, the Vibe, from a couple of years ago and loves it too. I don’t like the look of the newer Matrix either. Anyway, I test drove a manual base model Elantra Touring over the weekend and found it zippy and very stable on a windy day on the highway with a lot of trucks. It’s much cheaper than the Matrix (being a manual it’s the dealership’s loss leader).

We also have an 06 Matrix, manual transmission, FWD. Can’t speak for the Elantra but everything I’ve heard has been good. The newer Matrixes are a little smaller (so I’d strongly consider an Elantra Touring over a new Matrix) and they don’t sell them with AWD anymore. Plywood up to 40"x60" will fit with the rear seats folded flat, and 8’ lumber (I once moved 20 8 foot long 2x4s) and ladders will fit inside the car with both right seats folded flat. Again, can’t speak for the Elantra, but compared to our 03 Ford Focus there is significantly more leg room, even with a car seat in the rear seat and I’m 6 foot tall.

From what I’ve read and now heard, the big advantage of the Matrix is that the front passenger seat does fold flat. But the Elantra has a lot of other things going for it, including the lower price and longer warranty.