El Camino safe for a 16 year old?

I believe it was in the new issue of Popular Mechanics that I saw an article wherein they had crashed a modern sedan, perhaps a Chevy, into an older full size sedan, perhaps an old late-'60s or early 70s Impala. Both had crash dummys. The old vehicle’s crash dummy was crushed. Death would have been likely. The new vehicle’s entire front end was crushed, but the crash dummy was undamaged.

I recommend that you stop by the local bookstore and peruse the issue. The photos might impress upon you how much safer your daughter would be in a more modern car. Even she might be impressed. She might never admit it, but she might also be impressed that you love her enough to do that kind of research.

Not only PM…but one company actually had a commercial about it…they showed their much smaller mid-size vehicle against car that was from the 70’s…The driver of the 70’s car would have been killed in the crash…while the modern car driver likely would have walked away.

The key phrase is “wants me to buy her”. Sorry but when I’m buying, they drive what I have. When they buy, they have some say. No one ever bought me a car but I bought my own at 17. My nephew bought our El Camino and proceeded to soup it up big time. But he was an engineering student so it was a learning experience. The only good thing about it is that you can’t put more than three people in it so only three die in a roll over, not six.

i am going to put my 16 yr stepson in a 79 el camino, he needs the experience like i had with old cars, plus he has to signal with his arm,

So, when you get that inevitable phone call telling you your stepson lost his arm in a traffic accident… ?

I believe it was in the new issue of Popular Mechanics that I saw an article wherein they had crashed a modern sedan, perhaps a Chevy, into an older full size sedan, perhaps an old late-'60s or early 70s Impala. Both had crash dummys. The old vehicle’s crash dummy was crushed. Death would have been likely. The new vehicle’s entire front end was crushed, but the crash dummy was undamaged.

Not only PM…but one company actually had a commercial about it…they showed their much smaller mid-size vehicle against car that was from the 70’s.

and the “classic” crash videos:

Ellie, let me suggets that you pick up that copy of PM at the bookstore and that you show your daughter the videos that BSCar has attached. It’ll go a long way toward not only showing her WHY an El Camino is a bad choice, but showing her that you care. She might not show it intially, but I guarantee it’ll make a difference to her.