EGR Valve Replacement

We’ve been getting the P0400 Error code on our 2020 Connect for 2 years. The odd thing here is that the van has bene running and driving fine. But to be on the safe side we’ll be having the EGR valve replaced tomorrow.

imageedit_7_6382350185

The only reason I’ll not be installing the new valve myself is this places my hips and spine at a bad angle… But the shop informs me it will cost 200.00 and take 1 hour to complete. The EGR valve was purchased via RockAuto for 56.00 USD.

imageedit_2_2720075360

So over the weekend, I cleaned the engine bay cause I hate sending a car to the shop with a dirty engine etc.

What are you going to do if replacement of the valve doesn’t fix the code?

4 Likes

Are we to understand that the shop will charge 1 hour labor to install the EGR valve you bought on Rockauto . . . ?

Are you paying the shop to ONLY install the EGR valve?

For 1 hour labor, I wouldn’t expect any diagnosis, in case the problem is not resolved, as @Mustangman presumably alluded to

And since you, the customer, supplied the part, if it doesn’t work, that would presumably be on you

That is indeed a very clean looking engine bay :smiley:

4 Likes

If you had that valve replaced at the Ford dealer 2 years ago it would have been under warranty and free.

3 Likes

There’s a lot more to DPFE system than the EGR valve that can cause that code.

7174-39-2RQ-i1

Hope you didn’t waste money on the EGR valve.

Tester

3 Likes

+1
Including carbon filled ports restricting flow through the ports…

2 Likes

I was going to say this exact thing.

1 Like

actually, as an emissions device, it still may be under warranty…

1 Like

Vehicle emission control devices have a warranty of 2 years/24,000 miles.

The exceptions to this are the catalytic converter(s), the engine management computer, and the OBD computer, which have a warranty of 8 years/80,000 miles.

The Performance Warranty covers repairs which are required during the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) because the vehicle failed an emission test. Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer.

Tester

1 Like

Ford replacement parts have a 24-month warranty. However, if a new ERG valve was purchased 2 years ago it likely wouldn’t need to be replaced today, so the warranty wouldn’t apply.

I replaced the valve on my olds for an egr problem. Cost me $500 but it was a joint decision but didn’t work. Turns out it was plugged passages that required pulling the trans to get at them. I never did fix it and the car ran fine.

It’s definitely possible the cause of the 0400 code is just the EGR valve. But problematic DPFE sensors were a pretty common Ford EGR-code complaint here in prior years . Suggest to use the forum search feature (link upper right this page) to see what others have said.

The EGR valve isn’t just an on or off contraption; it must open a varying amount, according to the amount of EGR that’s needed for the engine operating condition. The PCM knows the operating condition & as part of its emissions equipment testing function, it verifies the EGR valve is opening the correct amount by using the DPFE sensor to measure the pressure difference from one side of the flow-sensing orifice to the other. The higher the flow rate, the higher the pressure difference.

The EGR flow rate has to be assessed for the car to meet emissions standards, but other manufacturer’s use different methods. My early 90’s Corolla uses a simple temperature sensor to assess the EGR flow rate.

Are there any drivability symptoms, or only the check engine light and the P0400 code?

I replaced my truck’s EGR valve a few years ago. The parts cost was about $120 as I recall. So provided it is a robust part, you got a good deal for $60. My guess, your EGR valve isn’t the problem, more likely a faulty DPFE sensor and/or clogged passages.

The DPFE sensors is integrated into the EGR… and the EGR WAS NOT replaced 2 years ago. The van has bene running fine for those two years… But as I said, about every 2 years or 4000 turns of the key we would get the error code. Having the code read, the shop says carbon build up etc… so I’ve been running Gumout Engine tune ever 5K miles. The engine runs and has been running great and very strong. I’ve been told that this is a false error code. I believe the main issue stems from when we first bought the van and I was told it is a flex fuel, yet does not have the yellow cap. I ran E85 for two weeks and the van ran great, but MPG suxd. it is my easement that the issue is the EGR valve/ IF by chance it’s something else we’ll address this when the time comes… I just think the EGR is a faulty design. Once the valve has been removed I will take a closer look at it and I’m expecting to see a carbon build up on the interior valve system.

Carbon buildup can also occur at the EGR tube orifice causing a recirculation flow malfunction code.

egr

Try adding a can of Sea Foam Engine Treatment on the next fill-up to see if gets rid of the code,

Tester

Not having a yellow cap does not mean it is not E85, my Grand Caravan was E85 with a black cap, but the inside of the gas door had a sticker saying it was E85…
And yes, with E85 you will loose about 20-25% of your fuel mileage…

1 Like

Does your van really have a gas cap? My 2013 F150 and 2020 Mustang have “cap less’ designs.
However I looked at the neck of the gas tank, on the F150, which is flex fuel, there are small letters in yellow.

I prefer to have the shop make the diagnosis, my shop charges $190 for diagnosis, but is waived if repaired. The shop will source the parts, might be a few dollars more, but the shop will deal with any warranty issues.

3 Likes

Pure, the van has the capless system and I’ve always hated it. and it is all black… but if you crawl under the van, there is a plastic yellow adapter at the end of the filler hose. I’ve even contacted Ford and they don’t know either… But view all paper work… seems to suggest that our van is a flexfuel or can run the eFuels. It’s a shame that these eFuels do not offer better MPGs. As for the EGR replaced and Now I have to keep an eye on the coolant level as the coolant runs through the EGR. Looking at the old valve… (4 years old) it was caked with carbon in the two main vent holes as well as the smaller coolant hole… I have a feeling that this is a flawed design as indicated by others whom have bene having the same error code or simply replaced the valve.

That is because of the A/F ratio differences…
Since ethanol contains less energy per volume than gasoline , FFVs will generally get 15%-27% fewer miles per gallon when fueled with E85, depending on the car and the driver’s driving habits.
E85 is about 9.7:1 where as gas is about 14.7:1 A/F ratio, meaning it takes more E85 than E0/10, so less miles per gallon…

1 Like

Is this the 2.0L GDI engine? If so, you should be aware that a GDI engine typically produces more soot than a port injected engine. This soot will eventually accumulate and plug up the small orifices in an EGR system. Ironically, running higher percentage of ethanol actually reduces the amount of soot being produced and will help to prolong carbon buildup impacting things like your EGR valve.

Keeping an eye on the coolant system… had the cap off for a few mins as I watched bubble come out of the smaller hose. I was a bit worried about this but the coolant level seem to be stabilized…

As for the eFuels… after years of searching and not getting an answer to is our 2.0L van is flex fuels complaint… just got a reply from a Lakeland Ford:

Quote:

2.0L GDI I-4 ENGINE
The standard 2.0L GDI I-4 engine coupled with an efficient 8-speed automatic transmission provides plenty of power. Also, the standard Auto Start-Stop Technology potentially reduces fuel consumption and vehicle emissions during city driving - when your vehicle comes to a stop and is idle.
The sporty 2.0L gasoline direct-injected engine is engineered to run on E85 (85% ethanol and 15% gasoline), unleaded gasoline or any blend of the two. Ethanol is cleaner burning and more renewable than conventional fuel.

But back when I first tested using the eFuels in the van, I invertedly topped off the tank with less than 10.00 of the eFuels… this sent a lean code. Ford also suggest that one should not top off and wait till the tank fuel gauge reads less than half a tank. This is due to the fuel metering system taking in account for what type of fuel the tank has been filled up with. So next time. I can put half 87oct then half e85. just to help clean the fuel system.