ECU repair

I have a 1994 Mitsubishi RHD. The ECU needs to be repaired. Does anyone know of a repair shop? I do not have a schematic. Replacement units are discontinued. Thanks in advance. Mike.

You would probably be better off buying a new car.

This is one of several companies that rebuild ECUs:

https://siaelec.com/?s=mitsubishi&post_type=product

(Hint: Google is your friend. :wink:)

Tester

1 Like

All I can offer is my condolences and sympathy.

1 Like

$30,000 for a new car or $100 for a used engine ECU? How much dirt, gravel or trash can be loaded into a new car?

Can’t you offer money or a replacement computer? Most people on this planet don’t enjoy the same standard of living as people in the U.S.

Nope. Even relatives only got greeting cards from the dollar store this year :cry:

3 Likes

You are more generous, I just text.

1 Like

Normally I’d say it probably isn’t the PCM, but this gen of Mitsubishi PCM had an issue with the ground run on the circuit board. IIRC, you would get 5 codes, I don’t remember exactly which codes were in that 5, but I do remember there were 5 of them.

The nature of the repair would make that run more robust so it never failed again. This was a case of the repaired boards being superior to a new board.

Edit: this was for the 4 cylinder models, not sure about v-6’s but I don’t recall that PU coming with a v-6 option.

I own a Corolla of similar vintage and always wondered the options available if ECM fails. So I’ll be carefully following what happens on this thread, hope you will keep us informed. I think my first choice would be to purchase a used ECM obtained from the same make/model/year/configuration as my own car, from a wrecked car, car parts recycler, pick and pull, etc. If nothing available, then I’d try the companies that rebuild them. fyi Summit Racing’s website sources replacement ecms for some cars. One problem you’ll have though is your make/model is probably not as widely sold as say a toyota pickup.

Note: One caution, if your state requires emissions testing, that may throw a monkey wrench into any replacement plan b/c while replacement ECM may work ok, it may not produce the required emissions levels.