Eclipse Traffice?

I just got back from Minneapolis heading south on I 35. Nary a soul going south for 30 miles but northbound was heavy all the way. The only thing I can think of is people coming back from down south after viewing the eclipse. I pretty much stayed inside and it was cloudy and then rain so I couldn’t tell if it was the eclipse or clouds. I did see it on TV though.

I’m hearing from those heading back to Olympia from the eclipse that it took 6+ hours to get here from Portland Oregon. Normally takes a little over 2 hrs but in parts traffic is barely moving even after 10:00 at night

We drove back from Grand Island, NE to Dallas after seeing the eclipse. There were local traffic jams, but once we got out of NE the traffic wasn’t too bad.

I was able to see the partial eclipse through the morning overcast here in Oakland, California. The streets around office buildings were crowded with people watching it.

I heard I-95 South was gridlocked the day before with people from the northeast trying to get to the Carolina’s to see it

I’ll wait for the next one and hope it goes over my house.

I saw it at work, 78% coverage I think is what I was told. Got some pictures, borrowed some glasses. It was cool, a little spooky to be darker like that in the afternoon, though we had some nice nasty thunderstorms tear through last night as I was going home up the highway. Tractor Trailer jack-knifed off the highway too (to keep everything car related)

In 2024 - it’ll be close. Looks like it’ll be just north of Concord NH.

I’m in Mass. and the viewing wasn’t as good as in the “totality” band. Still, even in my little one-redlight town, the downtown area was packed with cars at the peak time (when I went to the bank). Everyone was parking or looking to park and looking up.

My daughter and her husband took a vacation to Idaho/Wyoming to see the eclipse. The traffic jams started early. They left their camp grounds just west of Grand Teton National Park at 4am heading east to the park, and hit a long line of traffic. They turned around and watched from Rexburg, ID. After the eclipse, they drove south to Salt Lake City. It took 8.5 hours to do what is usually a 3 hour drive.

That was one of the nice things about Nebraska - lots of back roads, plenty of places to stop.

That should be the same situation in Idaho and Utah. I suggested a couple of days ago that they stop in Logan for some great food, but I guess they didn’t do it.

Outstanding! I live just south of Concord, NH!
Of course I’ll reserve the right to complain about the eclipse traffic…

Especially if you drive north to get into the path of the full eclipse. Only far northern NH will be in the path. You’ll be over 90% at your house, though. Even Berlin, NH is just out of totality. Montpellier, VT is just in.

Well worth the drive to see the totality.

There was supposed to be roughly 88% totality in my area. If the eclipse had not been on the news I’d never have known it even happened.

From 11 to 2 (prime time here…) I was mostly outside and barely even noticed anything. The local news people were saying it was going to get dark and so on. Not. Huge bust IMO.

I live in the path of totality. :grinning::grinning::grinning:
Watched it from my own yard.

Traffic in the St. Louis and nearby areas was heavy but nothing like in other parts of the country. I was glad I was able to stay home and avoid the crazies on the roads.

Light dimmed very little except for totality and about thirty seconds either side. It was interesting to see the corona, “diamond ring” flash, planets and stars visible, sunset lighting a full 360° all around, and have cicadas and tree frogs tune up briefly as if it were nightfall.

In THAT traffic?
No thank you.

I went to a little town called Portland, TN to see the eclipse. Totality was pretty cool! On the way down, went through Bowling Green and saw where the Corvette museum is; future travel idea.

On the way back, sat in traffic on I 65 long enough to get frustrated, then made tracks east on back roads to catch the Bluegrass Parkway, and take that home via Ashland, Charleston WV, Morgantown, etc. Not sure if it saved time overall, but it was refreshing not being in traffic like that!

P.S. Next one will be over Erie in 2024, so I hope to see it on the lake.

Drove down to bro’s in SC to see totality. Lucked out with clear sky (clouds and rain shower a half hour after the ‘show’). We were next to a lightly traveled road and, during totality, it was strange to see drivers turn on their headlights and not take the time to pull over and see a “once in a lifetime” show.