Dumping third-row seats

Okay. We bought a wonderful Toyota Sequoia Ltd. 2001 with only 45K on it from the original, Canadian, fussbudget owner. Our purpose: to drive from crumbling California to a try-out new home in paradise, aka New Hampshire. This vehicle should crunch the snows of our new, maybe, home, and carry all we need for the eight-month trial house-sit in Dover. However, we don’t give a flying monkey wrench about the third row seats. We are not soccer/hockey moms/parents. We’re free agents and just have a lot of stuff to haul in our Conestoga Wagon. We’re thinking of leaving the third-row seats in my brother-in-law’s immaculate garage; fifty-one and single, some babe should see the garage and marry him for it. If we flee back to Arnie’s state, the seats will be waiting. If we stay in the granite state and keep the Sequoia to maintain our superior lifestyle with a day-sailor and a Scamp and a second little car, who cares about the third row? If we sell the car in NH, we could pay the exorbitant shipping costs for brother-in-law to send the damned things. I see them for sale on eBay for up to a grand. What should we do?

I would be tempted to keep the seat. It might make the difference between making or breaking a deal when you are ready to sell the Sequoia. A person who buys this car may want the ability to carry more passengers which would necessitate the third seat. I am a person for whom the third row seat is important. I am frequently taking my fellow musicians and their intruments with me to play concerts. I have a minivan for that reason. If I were interested in buying your Sequoia, it would have to have the third seat.

Second vote for same…we seldom use the third seats on our 4 Runner, but we did haul them out the two times we did, and they will be installed trade in time. Keep’m.
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it…or is that a firearm. You get the point.

You never know when you might need them. It isn’t that much of a hassle to keep them, right?

I’ve got the same '01 Sequoia, mine is the SR5. What the heck does “SR5” mean anyway?

Immediately upon getting the Sequoia last Nov. I took out the 3rd row of seats. We put a “WeatherBeater” cargo mat in the back so the junk we carry, horse feed etc. would be contained in case of a spill. The seats are sitting in my garage. They are heavy suckers so shipping costs would be considerable from CA to NH. $1,000 bucks from an ebay sale is tempting. I don’t think I’ll ever need the seats myself. Have you figured out how to fold up the 2nd row of seats yet? I did this to sse how much room there is for cargo and it is a bunch.

Dover NH is very nice, my daughter lived there and worked at the UNH. A college town with lots of assets. Enjoy your adventure. Keep the seats with the bro in law for the moment. Eventually you can sell them on ebay if you stay in NH.

Why ruin a perfectly good Sequoia be removing the 3rd row? Take them with you and store them in NH if you want to. Is your gear so bulky that these seats would be in the way? You can put boxes on the floor and pack the long stuff on top of the boxes and seats after you fold them down. I would definitely take them with me. That’s what we do with our van.

SR5 stands for Sport Rally 5-speed.

I would wait until you get to your new location to remove the seats. The added weight might come in handy in winter driving, and I can’t really see a good reason for separating them from the Sequoia by that great of a distance.

If I say as sure as you sound about never needing them I would sell them on ebay, if you ever want new ones chances are every year as the car ages the price will go down, and as it is an 01 when trade in time comes I doubt there will be much difference. Weight in the snow advantage is minimal imho.

Thanks, of course the name doesn’t make sense. The Sequoia is a 4 speed auto, but if it had a stick shift it would be a 5 speed. Another marketing department gem, a name with no connection to reality. Ah, the marketing of cars.

Back in the 70’s, Toyota cars usually came with 4-speed transmissions, but you could pay more for the SR5 model which came with the 5-speed and usually some other de-lux stuff like a tachometer. Some time in the 80’s, it became just another trim level that doesn’t mean anything in particular.