Dual Mass Flywheel conversion question (Hyundai clutch)

Folks:

I have a 2004 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 4cyl with a 5-speed manual transmission. We bought it so our two children could learn how to drive a stick. With that behind us, it’s now showing signs of needing a clutch.

I was surprised to learn that Hyundai uses a dual mass flywheel. They cannot be resurfaced and are very expensive to replace - between $1100-$1500 for the part.

Many clutch manufactures in recent years have begun making conversion kits to replace dual mass flywheels with less expensive solid flywheels. I’m sure this allows some of the engine vibrations to propagate to the drivetrain.

I have not taken the car apart yet to know if the flywheel is scored or not. I’m trying to understand my options first.

Does anyone have experience replacing dual mass flywheels with solid conversions? If so, what’s your experience? Was there an increase in drivetrain vibrations, and if so, was it excessive?

Thanks,

Joe

Even if it is scored a little, you can still use it, it will just wear out the new clutch plate a little faster is all. Consider how much longer you plan on keeping the car vs. the cost of replacing the flywheel and I think the economic decision will be to just reuse the flywheel as is. Do get a new pressure plate though, throwout bearing and pilot bearing though.

A dual mass flywheel is matched to the engines torque curve. This allows more of the engines torque to be applied to drive wheels instead of trying to get a large mass to rotate at the crankshaft. So if you even find a solid flywheel for this car and install it, you’ll probably find a loss of performance off the line because some of the torque that was applied at the drive wheels is now being used to get the mass of a solid flywheel to begin to rotate.

Tester