Driving without a trailing oxygen sensor

Had my catalytic converter stolen, along with the trailing O2 sensor. Muffler shop replaced the converter but did not have the correct sensor so had to order it. My understanding is that the trailing sensor is used to assess the efficiency of the converter. I have the leading O2 sensor installed and the car seems to rum fine. Driving a 2005 Honda Element 5 speed. Question: am I running the risk of damaging the engine while driving it without the trailing sensor? Thanks for any help you can provide. Mike

No. The trailing O2 sensor is for monitoring catalyst effeciency only. The leading O2 sensor is the important one as this sensor monitors the engine’s air/fuel ratio.

Tester

The CEL is probably on, the engine computer complaining about the missing signal, but the operation of the car is not effected…

Did they somehow unbolt it or did they just cut it off with a cordless sawz-all? Right out on the street?

Is there something plugging up that hole? Or are you just driving around loudly?

‘Is there something plugging up that hole? Or are you just driving around loudly’ – yea, there is a plug inserted into it – must come that way as an aftermarket purchase. So, hardly any noise.

'Did they somehow unbolt it or did they just cut it off with a cordless sawz-all? Right out on the street? ’ – looks like they used a cordless saw and cut it off. probably took all of 30 seconds. did it right in my company’s parking lot, between 1:00 and 5:00 pm, which is monitored by security 24/7. I imagine if they parked their car next to it, no one would notice. thanks for all the help. and the CEL is on.

How much did you pay for the replacement?

a bit over $200.

No camera/video tape that might have caught the culprit(s)?

It has to be drug addicts selling them for salvage…