Driving on dry roads my car will start vibrating in. The back and start to fishtail like hopping and then My traction light flashes and I loose power until it drops down to 50mph

Driving on dry roads my car will start vibrating in. The back and start to fishtail like hopping and then My traction light flashes and I loose power until it drops down to 50mph. My car just recently got aligned and put on new tires thinking that would be the problem but it continues to do it’s own thing. Then on top of it this week the cruise control stopped working now. Please some one help me.

Take it to a well rated independent auto repair shop. Tell them what you told us. Let them look for the problem.

I suspect the rear struts have failed but it could be bad wheel bearings… although that should have been caught in an alignment. Have the rear brzkes checked too.

1 Like

Thanks brakes were done about a month ago. But with the strut because of me to lose power and can’t gain speed or is that because my traction control is kicking in is that work? Traction control is supposed to be doing. I’m not that somebody please explain the concept.

I really think Mr . Mustang is correct , you need a shop to look at this vehicle. You have several problems and the rear end problem is dangerous . Bad rear suspension ( I suspect serious rust ) could cause you to loss complete control .

1 Like

You’re not going to fix this yourself. The longer you wait to get to a shop, the more chance you’ll damage your new tires and the more chance you’ll end up in a crash.

3 Likes

I think that when the rear tire is bouncing, it is making the traction control confused so it is removing power so your front drive wheels won’t spin. The reference speed in a front wheel drive is the rear wheels.

2 Likes

Maybe turn the trac control off to see if it does the same thing. When I am going up a snowy hill, I shut it off. Otherwise it would drive me right to the curb instead of driving straight. Don’t want it, don’t need it.