Drivers' education with 'Red meat' (the comic strip)

I can’t remember if Ohio’s permit was good in other states or not. Hmmm.

I recall that, in NJ, we were warned that a NJ learner’s permit was not valid in NY.

1 Like

Usually if your state issues a driving permit it’s valid in other states. Our problem is we didn’t have a permit system. I got my license when living in Central NY…Closest state border was over 100 miles away, so it never came up.

I had a semester of high school drivers ed at 15 that included all of two times behind the wheel of 20 minutes each. My dad also took me out a couple of times. I was a terrible driver! Only got a learner’s permit.

Then we moved to NJ a few weeks after my 16th birthday where legal driving age was 17, so no license. I was not a happy camper.

Insurance rates there were so crazy high that I didn’t get a license until I was 20. At that time my mom taught me to drive. On the third day of behind the wheel lessons I realized the hugely improved difference in my decision abilities due to those few additional years of maturity. That realization took a lot of the sting out of having had to wait those extra four years for a license.

1 Like

We had quite a bit of actual driving time. City streets to Interstate. Though my skill is rusty, back then I could parallel park with ease.
Drivers Ed in the spring, drove with my parents on my permit through the summer. Turned 16 in August, got my license beginning of September. Bought my car when I was 15 so I could take the test with an automatic transmission rather than my parents three on the tree.

1 Like

Another one was called Signal Seven. I saw it in tech school in the A.F.

1 Like

Or AAA or AARP, both online right now. Discount varies by state law, contact your local AARP chapter to find out more.

Better cost you a clutch than a daughter. Smart on you for being a good parent, all-round.

Both are approved here for Pemco, My parents are AAA and AARP members,