Downsides to 1998 Chevrolet Prizm?

What are the pit falls for this particular vehicle?

None, it is a Toyota Corolla with a Geo badge. The only pitfall is that it is a 20 year old vehicle. But being a Toyota, it is a bit like a cockroach - un-kill-able

The biggest problem is the premature oil burning 1.8 Litre 1ZZFE engine.Some of them will never consume oil but the majority will. Tear down of the engine is necessary to replace faulty pistons.A design fault…yes.

If this thing starts like it should , drives and stops like it should and the appearance is acceptable just buy it if the price is fine with you. I guess it is for sale is why you made this post.

I’ve got a 2001 and aside from the oil burning (1 quart every other tank!), the only other things are:

1. The inside door handles are kinda flimsy. I’m on my third driver’s door handle. Good news = the fronts and rears are the same, just left to right differences.

2. There is nothing exciting about the car. It’s as basic as a car can be.

Thank you for the info.

1 Like

Thanks for the info to take under consideration.

My extended family has one. The only downside I would point to is relative safety. Relative to a newer small sedan or hatch. Here is an example from BestRide. In case you are not aware of it, a 1998 Prizm is basically the same vehicle as the 1998 Corolla.

I have in my family one of the first 1998 Prizm LSI’s they produced. Built in 1997. This one is completely loaded has every option that was available sunroof, ABS, side airbags etc. etc. Second owner - purchased 11 years ago with 60,000 miles on it. It now has around 125,000 on it. It does not burn a drop of oil. I am aware, and know the whole story with the piston oil holes not being big enough, and they coke over on some. Once this happens they start blowing oil through the tailpipe and clog the cat. Then the O2 light goes on then … mine has always ( since I have owned it ) gets the oil changed every 3,000 miles religiously! Not sure if that has made a difference - who knows. The oil on the dipstick is gold when changing time comes around. My daughter on the other hand bought a second hand 01 corolla ( same motor accept by then they had added VVT ) and it used oil from the time she bought it. As long as you do not let it run out of oil these engines will run this way along time.

2 Likes