Down shifting

“What about checking the fluid level as a low fluid level could cause problems like this. In theory the fluid should be good and full. In practice it could be low for some inexplicable reason or even tainted if some lube facility pushed a trans service with a vengeance.”

Since this vehicle has a CVT, if the previous owner had it serviced anywhere except the dealership, there is a very real possibility that the wrong fluid was used.

I forget technical terms occasionally or a name if I haven’t thought about it for a while. If I stop thinking about it, the work pops into my mind quickly. I like to think that there is so much to remember from more than 60 years of life that temporarily forgetting a few things isn’t a problem. Don’t worry about it until you forget where something familiar belongs and can’t figure it out. If you start putting your car keys in the freezer, worry.

“Don’t worry about it until you forget where something familiar belongs and can’t figure it out. If you start putting your car keys in the freezer, worry.”

The “quick & dirty” test for whether someone is simply forgetful or is lapsing into Alzheimer’s is the following:

If someone forgets where he/she put their car keys, that is just forgetfulness.
If they look at their car keys and don’t know what they are, that is Alzheimer’s Disease or some other form of dementia

jtsanders: You seem to have arrived a the same conclusion I did several years ago. Our brain is an organic computer. After so many decades the hard drive fills to capacity and is forced to “archive” information to make room for new information. Retrieving archived information is sometimes problematic. I keep my car keys in the pocket of my jeans. The day I find my jeans in the freezer will be a very bad day.

@sgtrock21, you’ll be EXTRA cool if you store your Jan’s in the freezer!