Double Clutch?

I know there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people asking questions. I known that the floppy paddles use a double clutch, the question is: when I want to pass on a highway I hit the up paddle and it goes to 7th. I then down shift to 6th and the car takes off. Is this the proper thing to do or is it the cause of the funky smell I have stated to notice?

How do you know this? What model do you own (you donā€™t say)?

Donā€™t do this. If the car is already IN 7thā€¦ and if you are on the highway, it is in 7thā€¦ hitting the upshift paddle does nothing and hitting the downshift paddle shifts to 6th.

Either let the trans shift on its own or downshift to 6th directly.

1 Like

Describe the funky smell.

Not all flappy-paddle cars use a dual clutch transmission (dual, not double - double clutch is something different). But whether yours has a normal automatic or a DCT, downshifting isnā€™t going to hurt it because the computer will not let it downshift if doing so would cause damage.

As @Mustangman said, hitting the up-shift paddle is not necessary.

1 Like

If youā€™re in 6th thereā€™s no reason to shift to 7th and then back to 6th for passing. Just get into the gear that gives you the needed response. Usually 3,000 to 4,000 RPM will give a good launch and shift up at ~ 5,500

1 Like

Your Honda is very smart about shifting on its own, I would only use the paddles in certain circumstances, like when keeping speed under control going down hill.

No Honda has dual clutches, Iā€™m pretty sure. All are either regular automatics or CVTs (with fake ā€˜gearsā€™ if they have paddles).

1 Like

Why do you hit the upshift paddle first? You should just be hitting the downshift paddle, possibly even twice.

I thought that, too but there are a couple of models that do have DCTsā€¦ at least Wikipedia lists them.

Honda does have a DCT for motorcycles and has for 10 years! Surprised me.

Hello, to be honest itā€™s a company car, itā€™s 2014 and I think the modal is Sport.

When I hit the paddle it says 7. I then I down shift to 6th and the car picks up speed without hitting the gas. When accelerating from a toll both I do he same, I go from 4th down to 3ed and it picks up speed and then I work up to 5th or 6th.
The problem I find is you are never sure what gear you are in. I could be doing 50 and hit the paddle and it tells me itā€™s in 7th and that does not seem right. Should I stop trying to have fun with it like I do a on speed stick and just leave it in automatic?

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,

Dave Szilagyi

ā€œIf youā€™re not making mistakes, then youā€™re not doing anything. Iā€™m positive that a doer makes mistakes.ā€ - John Wooden

@daveszilagyi I am going to give the same answer that I gave to your July thread about using the paddle shifters to slow down on off ramps .

Just put the silly vehicle in drive and let the transmission do what it was designed to do. The transmission will down shift at the proper time and do it without your help.

Yes, stop shifting it. The transmission knows what gear it needs.

And there is no such model as ā€œSportā€ā€¦ there is a prefix.

Stop abusing your company vehicle and maybe you need to find out what you are actually driving and read the manual .

Iā€™m wondering if you are upshifting too soon, bogging the engine down in a higher gear, then when you drop it down to where the optimum range is, the car accelerates as it should. if this is the case, then the loose nut behind the wheel is the issue. :smiley:

3 Likes

I donā€™t really consider downshifting with the paddles to be abusing the vehicle.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing this is the Accord ā€˜Sportā€™ trim. I donā€™t think it has a dual clutch, itā€™s the Acura ILX and TLX that might have it, as far as I can tell. An 8 speed DCT with a torque converter, to smooth out the low-speed shifts.

It sure is complicated:

When I want to downshift, I just push the accelerator pedal to the floor. Works every time. 2107 Accord EX-L.

1 Like