Door repair

I tried shaving my doors on my 02 Tundra and when I removed the side molding there were 3 holes in each door. I didn’t know what to do so I had a buddy of mine weld some metal behind each hole then I filled it with bondo. It worked for a bit but the bondo won’t stick. I’m thinking of grinding the areas to the metal then reapply bondo or remove the welded metal and use a fiberglass filler then bondo. What should I do?

The bondo won’t stick??? Bondo sticks to stuff you don’t WANT it to stick to! I suspect that the metal wasn’t properly roughed up or cleaned off from the welding flux to allow the bondo to stick. Fiberglass will have the same problem. Fiberglass filler is usually for filling when you haven’t backed up the holes with metal. If your buddy brazed (the orange metal) or silver soldered the holes instead, the flux will glaze over the metal and screw up the bond.

Grind and re-apply the bondo. Use a good de-greaser before and after grinding. Brake cleaner works in a pinch and leaves no film. Uses at least 80 grit to give the metal some tooth. Be sure to prime the bondo after it is smoothed out because it absorbs water and will fail if you don’t prime it.

I’ve found things in the back of the refrigerator that needed shaving…those damn Chia Pets…but I never heard of shaving doors.

Yosemite

C’mon @Yosemite You’ve never heard of shaving hoods and doors? It is a custom trick for making the car look smoother. It started in the 50’s when manufacturers chromed EVERYthing. You remove trim and fill the holes. Sometimes even the door handles installing remote “popper” solenoids to open the doors. You can also “french” things like headlights and antennas. That is recessing them into the bodywork.

“Shaving” has never been popular where I live. I myself wasn’t really familiar with the term until perhaps the last 20 years. The connotation is obvious, however. One removes everything that interferes with the car’s basic “lines” and smooths it all over, just like shaving the whiskers from your face.

“Shaving” has never been popular where I live.

Same in my area. I think the custom died out in the 50’s or 60’s around here.

Sorry but I never heard the term before @mustangman. I do get what you mean and it is a neat look on some classics, though I doubt I’d opt for that style.

Like Whiskers???..@the same mountainbike…hell I’ve been chewing mine off from the inside. I do have a few teeth missing, hence the hairy face.

I know what frenching is, but I never kiss and tell…and recessing things into the bodywork is a little personal. That’s when big back seats were king, and no shoulder harness for the girl to get her leg caught in.

That’s a good thread we should start.
What cars back seat was the best for …naw, she’d never let us get away with it.

Yosemite

Nash

When filling holes on a body when there’s access to the panel from behind when welding, you place a piece of a copper strip behind the panel and plug weld the hole.

Tester

@Old_Timer Who needs a back seat in America’s first true sports car? (Depends on what your “sport” of choice is.)